3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LPG.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 PM
silvernightmare
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LPG.

glad to hear that LPG is working out nicely for you.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:52 PM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

I got a nail in my tire a while ago... I refused to use the spare tire... HAha. I just got one of those cans of "Seal your own tire" crap... You just put it on the valve and squirt it all inside, and then it stops the tire from leaking...
Yup..that's the stuff we need.
Sounds like a great perfomance modifiaction to me.
Dump the spare and save weight.
It must save at least 50lb?
I'll weigh my spare tomorrow and post the results.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:24 PM
maxc666

Hi,

I'm also in the UK and picked up an 03 Hemi quad cab last week in place of my F150 Harley truck. The Harley was too small in the back and had covered a lot of miles. I love the space of the Ram and it should be way more practical for my racing - I drag race a 450bhp snowmobile on tarmac, plus I crew on a top fuel drag race team (the ultimate 8000 bhp Hemi!).

I have fitted 22" wheels as it came with off-road rear tyres on the 17" rims and the handling was interesting to say the least. I've also fitted a tonneau and will fit a leather interior shortly.

I want to go to LPG and am looking at various kits from Prinz, Romano and others. I previously looked at this for my F150 but the cost was around £2600 by the time I had dual tanks to get a worthwhile range. It looks like the Ram will be cheaper, particularly if I junk the spare wheel - though I would probably still carry it whilst abroad. Had anyone fitted tanks in the voids outside the chassis rails, or do you all use the spare wheel position? I don't want to use the bed for a tank, so it has to be below. Looking at eBay I see full sequential systems installed for £1675 all-in, which looks attractive at this stage.

Any comments on what systems, and the installers you used would be appreciated. For info, I'm near Southampton.

Max.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al,

I did a search for "Prinz" and was unable to find anything written in english. Sorry, totally don't understand german--at all!!

Could you put some kind of a link up, or URL to the Prinz site, or a distributor for them.

I am interested in LPG, but not finding much on it over here. If I had my choice I would try burning e-85 in mine, but it will never be set up for it according to my dealer, who called D/M to find out for me.

I am also interested about the warranty issues with it too. Did you have to deal with that at all?????

Thanks much ahead of time.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:39 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Glad everything has been working out for you, Abarmy. Glad to know someone is trying to save the planet driving that evil, gas guzzling Hemi

Old 04-02-2006, 10:14 PM
2005 DAYTONA
Professional

Rob, i dont know if your aware but that crap as you called it does work, BUT there is a problem with it people dont seem to know, it will rust/corrode the inside of your rim. Yes it does work in a pinch, but you should get that crap cleaned out. just a tip, bud

Old 04-03-2006, 06:45 AM
abarmby
Champion

maxc666, My installer tried to fit two tanks down the outside of the chassis rails, 2x70 liter "torpeado" style tanks, but we couldn't due to the Westin side steps.
Too much fabrication for a straight forward installation. When It was already costing me a small fortune to have the LPG, It wasn't worth it for me.
I put 2 siamesed tanks in the wheel well, giving about 115 litres workable capacity from 2x70 liter tanks.
It works quite well. I don't have the HUGE tank across the back of the bed to contend with. It works out nearly the same as a tank full of petrol, but obviously a LOTTTTTTTT cheaper ha ha ha.
The dealer who installed my system wouldn't entertain the Italian stuff and only fitted Prinz kits, having had few problems over the years with that manufacturer. When my kit was being installed, he was busy ripping out an Italian kit and refitting a prinz, after the customer had won a lengthy court case over the Italian kit being so poor and unreliable.............
You can get kits from ebay but a word of warning. ONLY an official accredited LPG installer can fit these systems. The government have really tightened up on this. It's a bit like the CORGI registration for the gas board. The installer MUST give you an official certificate of instalation with his unique dealership number stamped on it. Insurance companies will not touch you without this. I know you would probably make an excellent job of the instalation, but if your not licensed to do it ..........my advise would be forget that as an option.
Also DVLA must be informed of the bi-fuel nature of your truck once it's finished.
Are you also taking the truck abroad?
I haven't looked into this, but I believe there are restictions on vehicles in tunnels and on ferries etc that use LPG. Check on this before your purchase as you could end up with something only suitable here?
Have you seen my instal pics? They are posted here in this forum. Do a search and you can find my scribblings on LPG.
I have about 3500 miles on the system and as yet.........touch wood.......trouble free motoring. I pulled some plugs the other week and they looked fine with a nice colour signifying to me, everything seems fine with the engine. I have't thrown any of those da*m computer codes either.
Go to a reliable installer in your area. Try and get someone who has been in business doing this stuff a long time and not gone bust. My chap has over 15 years+ doing this and he's still in business and cars still turn up with customer litterally, queing out the door.

Gone Fishin....heres the link you need. http://www.prins-lpg.com/en/prins/

As for warranty issues, I don't have a warranty as I bought the truck and had it imported from Texas. I have contacted Prinz directly, and they have had no issues to date with Hemi's running these systems. They have a lot of customers, especially in Holland with these trucks and they seem to be fine. Don't forget, LPG is a cleaner burn and a more complete one, as it's already in a gaseaus state. This is the dream of every engine manufacturer/builder, hence the development of our much beloved Hemi design. Pentangle Hemi engines giving more complete burn due to the Hemispherical design. So.......it must be good for engines. The only potential problem, is that the gas compare to petrol is obviously very dry. This has in the past, due to soft exhaust valve seats, led to premature valve wear. However with the modern engines of today and inparticular our Hemi's, valve seats are a lot harder and I've been assured by Prins that this will not be an issue. In fact they have systems running on Mercedes and Daimlers etc, factory fitted. I don't think Merc would do that if they wern't OK .........?

Oesteodoc08 thanks for the kind words mate.
I have yet to have a "tree hugger" as we call the environmental brigade over here in the UK, give me a hard time. But when I do, rest assured he/she (don't forget our politically correct times here ha ha) will get my LPG fuel cap shoved right up there nose ha ha ha.

Hope I've answered most of your questions guys, PM me if you want more.
Good luck with the installations and "Keep Dodging"............
Al.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:40 PM
maxc666

Al,

Thanks for the reply - very useful info. I have now sorted out my system and will spend the $$$ to get it right with a Prins kit. I spoke to a lot of people this morning and decided to go with Hants Auto Fuels in Tichfield (www.hantsautofuels.co.uk). They have a lot of experience of these trucks and inspired confidence - unlike most of the fitters out there! The system is £2700 but includes removing the stock fuel tank and replacing it with a 100l LPG tank and a new 62l petrol tank. There is an additional 50l LPG tank under the radiator, sat safely inside the chassis legs. This means I can keep my spare wheel and have a great range. It goes in on April 21st to be converted.

I'm also playing with a few other things and a mate is making me a stainless cat-back exhaust system with dual side exits in front of the right side rear wheels for £150. I'll pick up a performance intake while I'm in the US the week the truck is being converted. I'm also tempted to get a set of Bushwacker OE fenders as the tyres are a little proud of the arches, plus a set of lowered rear leaf springs to level the rear. I have the tow package with rear air assisters so I can deal with any heavy loads as required.

I am waiting for delivery of a complete leather interior cover set from the US as I really wanted leather but got too good a deal on the truck to pass on it. I got a fair amount knocked off as there is a cigarette burn on a rear seat, so this paid for most of the leather. I went with a kit from accessoriesrus http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT for $600 (but significantly less for customs purposes!). As I have a beige/grey interior I went with the OEM pebble colour. I'm happy fitting it myself, so this is a cheap option.

I'll update when the LPG is completed.

Max.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32558/6AE60077ABE4495FB7FC6415E996541A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al,

Thanks much for the link to Prinz. As it turns out, it--appears-- that they have a distributor in Houston Texas. I e-mailed their corporate headquarters, and hopefully, they be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks Again,

Ted

Quick Reply: LPG.