3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how to remove brake lights?...tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 01:55 AM
kevincw01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove brake lights?...tonight

Had a brake bulb go out so I checked the manual and it says to remove the 2 screws on the tailgate door jam area. I did this and the light structure swings outward but is being stopped by somthing. The manual says to give it a quick tug out towards the tailgate. I did this and it ain't moving. I'm worried I will crack somthing if I mess with it more. Any ideas?

Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran
Default RE: how to remove brake lights?...tonight

I just replaced my brake light last week. There are two "plugs" that hold the tail light on. Pull straight back with a little force and they will come off. The manual makes it confusing by saying it swings - it really doesn't. Just give a slow hard pull, and they'll come off.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:00 AM
kevincw01
Rookie

which direction? out towards the tailgate opening or outward of away from the side of the truck?

Old 03-21-2006, 02:01 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

Straight from the back of the truck. Stand facing the back window, and pull towards you.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:02 AM
kevincw01
Rookie

OK, that wasn't fun. There's not a great place to put your hands to pull straight back. I had all 200lbs of me leaning on the light housing and it was budging. Did I mention it started raining? I finally tugged really hard on the top(but straight out) and the top one popped off and threw me back with enough momentum that the bottom popped off too.

The dead light had a black haze to it. Since I had 2 bulbs I did the same to the other side(same technique worked) and that one was black too, even though it wasn't out yet. I'm glad I checked.

Anyways, thanks san diego hemi. Is it raining there too? I'm in long beach.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:08 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

Thats exactly what happened when I did mine. A pain in the a$$ to get it off. But there was no way I was going to pull the housing to the side and snap the plugs. I pulled both off to check, and one was burned out, and the other had a black haze.

I think it is supposed to rain tonight. I am tired of it, seems like the weekdays are okay, then the weekend suck. Luckily we don't have to put up with half the crap the other guys do.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:57 AM
cbrewer954
Professional

I feel all your pain. Mine left brake light went out and it was a bear to get that light out. I though for sure I broke something when it finally popped off. What a nightmare.
P.S., it's raining up here in Los Angeles area. Tired of it too.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:13 PM
dieselram
Captain

Switch to LEDs and (hopefully) never take that tail light out again.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:02 PM
nos4fuel
Veteran

Hey guys, i dont know what they do on the east coast but when i had to replace my tails, i called the dealership and the head technition told me about the two grip screws and that u turn the tail light towards you, out of the housing and then slide your hands between the truck body and tail light at the top and then pull so that it comes out, make sure to disconnect your wire harness before you try and remove your tail light or you're in BIG trouble. The head technition had no problem telling me how to get the tail light out, as he said "We're here for important things, changing lights and air filters only slows us down." They were very helpful. Will they help you out this way too?
Take Care
-Nos4fuel

Quick Reply: how to remove brake lights?...tonight