3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:57 PM
UTFAN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

What's up everyone new guy to the DF, I have a 05 1500 v6 and i have noticed for a while now that when i back into my parking space at work or home the tranny has this loud pop to it (going from reverse to park)as if it was a broken U-joint or something. Has anyone else heard this sound before or is it just mine? Sometimes it does it and sometimes nothing, advice is greatly appreciated

Old 03-27-2006, 12:26 PM
eltupac
All Star
Default RE: Transmission

Yeah. I hear it going into first. If I depress the clutch and put in first, I hear the thump, but if I keep on pressing the clutch and shift around gears, I dont hear it. If I release the clutch and press it again and change gears I hear it. Now this is only when the truck is stopped, not moving. Dont know what it could be, but I dont have time to drop the truck at the dealership for 3 days so they can tell nothing is wrong. I dont have an extra car, so I wait until it the transmission drops so they have no excuses.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:02 PM
UTFAN

thanks for relpying, i guess i forgot to mention that my tranny is an automatic, but now something did go wrong with it and i had to take it to the dealership [:@]. Something fu**ed up, it wouldn't shift all the way down to first, some crazy s**t. Now i have to wait almost a week before they can even look @ it. How has your dealership been with you when you've taken yours in (assuming you've had yours in)?

Old 03-27-2006, 05:12 PM
eltupac
All Star

Well, I tooks it in after 600 miles, about 2 weeks after I bought it. Some rattling under the cab, I thinks its the tranny that sounds like a diesel engine. So theys takes it in and theys give me a rental. Theys says its because its so new that for the trouble I gets a rental. After a week driving this rental, I calls in to check and theys had done nothing to the truck. I talks to the manager and tells him what the hell. He says that it takes this long to check the truck. I says "OK, no problem, I'll continue driving the rental that you guys are paying for". The truck was ready the next morning. But ready is an understatement. The rattling was supposedly a loose heat shield. Other than that, I was told everything was normal. I test drove another one on the lot and there it was the same rattling. So what they fixed or thought they fixed, I DONT KNOW. I dont trust dealerships nor their mechanics. So what was your question again?

Oh yeah, well, I cant speak for all dealerships. Somewhere out there is a good one. I havent found one.

My neighbor has an 05 auto. The first one, it was hard to shift he says and he kept hearing like a whinny noise like a spining before it would lock into D or R. One day he heard a crack and the tranny did not respond. He took it to the dealer and they told him that they will fix the problem. NOW LISTEN, his truck was brand new with 1100 miles on it. He told the dealer that he did not want a fixed truck, he wanted a new one. The dealer said no, he said they can have his truck and give him his money back because a brand new 1100 mile truck should not have this problem. I guess after fighting they gave him a new truck. I guess it was more expensive to fix the truck than to give him a new one. DONT KNOW. You probably have more than 1100 miles, but fight anyway and call them to have it fixed immediately. Tell them YOU DONT HAVE ANOTHER CAR AND YOU NEED THAT ASAP. Get mad.

Quick Reply: Transmission