3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water crossing, How deep can standing water before the Hemi says, gurgle, clunk??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water crossing, How deep can standing water before the Hemi says, gurgle, clunk??

I hydrolocked a new Jeep in my younger day crossing a washed out drain. It usually was 12" but a storm washed out the entire drain pipe making it 4'.[:@] 8K miles on a new Jeep and it was totaled. How deep can the new Hemi Ram forge until it sucks water??

Old 03-25-2006, 01:29 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Water crossing, How deep can standing water be for the Hemi Ram motor??

Not very. I don't know if they changed the air pickup for the 06 but on my 04 it is right in front of the passenger wheel housing. A prime place for water to be pushed up into while fording water.

Many offroaders here go with a CAI that doesn't go to the front of the sheel well to prevent this. If you do a search, I'm sure you'll note a few Rams that have hydrolocked while making "deep" water crossings.

If you want to see some good off road pics, take a look at ce2flaco's album.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Water crossing, How deep can standing water be for the Hemi Ram motor??

If you were to run up to the top of the passenger side tire VERY slowly, you probably wouldn't have much trouble getting away with.

I took mine apart and drilled additional drain holes in the bottom of the lower portion of the air box itself, and additional holes on the back side of the lower portion of the air box about an inch below the line of the air filter. Yes, this sort of deletes the "cold air" effect of the design, but I would rather have an air filter that gets damp, rather than sucking up enough water to saturate the filter and lock up the engine. Actually, the guy that made the custom machined adapter in a previous post here, could possibly make an elbow "up" for an air box, then place the intake somewhere near the radiator cross brace would be ideal. Then just cover the wheel well opening.
Then you might be able to do some more serious off roading in water---sort of a snorkle, but located in the engine compartment.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:35 PM
bmxox
Professional

I was back in the woods one night in my truck with a friend in his wrangler. We were stayin to the side of most of the puddles because we didn't know how deep they were. On the way back I decided to go through the center of one that didnt seem to be too deep. Yea well I was wrong, go into it and all of a sudden I couldnt see anything, I thought my lights when out but they were just completely under the water, it was only for a second until I leveled out in the puddle. Scared the crap out of me, once the whole truck was in the water it was only about top of tires deep. Ill never go into water like that again untill I know for sure how deep it is.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:16 PM
ce2flaco
Veteran

You can get fairly deep if you go SLOW. I crawl through until my fan starts slaping the water, at that point i won't go any farther because i know where my fan blade is in relation to my intake. As some others noted, if you hit water at speed it can push up into your intake. I run the bone stock intake with a drop in K&N and have had good results. I have had a bit of water in the box but the oiled filter seems to have helped keep it from going on through.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7688/3BCAB278D9294FF591C8983B3BC2ABEF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7688/AA96B1F835534E46A438A74F106D8B31.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7688/08778F7A286C4B259C5CC0B604987C8B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7688/BE90B0B57C13411CBE32CA22F5D03929.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Water crossing, How deep can standing water before the Hemi says, gurgle, clunk??