3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stage1 Jet Chip. Where does it install? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:20 AM
mrneg9
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage1 Jet Chip. Where does it install? Please Help!

Hi Guys. I just bought my 2003 Dodge Quad Cab Truck with the 5.7 liter Hemi. I have a custom exhaust and air intake system. I just recently purchased a Jet chip (Stage1) from a guy for $100.00 shipped. I was hoping one of you guys could tell me where exactly to plug it in on the truck. Someone said out on the fire wall but there are many plugs out there. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Derek

Old 04-01-2006, 11:33 AM
GaRamFan
Default RE: Stage1 Jet Chip. Where does it install? Please Help!

I would assume it plugs in like my Superchip in the diagnostic port under the steering wheel. I will say, I haven't read good things about the Jet. The PCM apparently "learns" what the Jet programmer has done and overrides it. I have only read good reviews about the Hypertech and Superchips. I got good results with the Superchips.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:44 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There are 4 plugs, goes in the third one. Counting number 1 from the top.

Old 04-01-2006, 03:21 PM
prerunner
Captain

Not to sure what changed from 2003 to 2004, but it plugs into the brain on your firewall. On the 2004...the brain is on the passenger side of the engine compartment...just behind and above the wheel well. Kinda a pisser to get to. Make sure you have a stubby screw driver so you can remove the brain from the firewal. The chip does go in the 3rd plug from the top on the 2004's.
The chip is also a pian to snap in.....make sure it goes ALL the way in and snaps....you will hear it. put the brain back and plug everything back in. The 2004's are color coordinated....so it's easy to figure out which ones are which.

Just and FYI....the chip won't do much. after about 500 miles...your computer retunes everything and the chip won't be doing anything unless you reset the computer. If you can get your money back...do so!!!!

Old 04-01-2006, 10:06 PM
mrneg9
Amateur

I cant beleive the computer resets itself after 500 miles. I bought this thing from a guy on ebay for $100.00. I have not received it as of yet but it looks like I will be stuck with it. Do you think Jet has made any changes to fix this problem? Thanks for the feedback guys. D

Old 04-01-2006, 10:19 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not worry.

The Jet Chip is post computer, it modifies after the computer. For the most part it is advacning timing a bit. If you did not run 89 before do it now. I run 91-93 with mine. The other thing I have noticed is if I cruise under 40MPH it never kicks into overdrive. THis will decrease fuel economy, but the truck is much more responsive when you push the pedal. That is one of the gripes Ram owners usually talk about, slow response time from pushing the gas to the truck actually applying the power.

As for is it a waste of money, not at all. If you do not like it you can sell it to someone else for $100, EBay is a great place, I gave $115 for mine.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:25 PM
mrneg9
Amateur

That's good to hear. I probably will put it back up on ebay and go with the superchip programmer. I see a couple of them up right now on ebay for my 03. I wonder how much better they work? Thanks for your feedback as it was important info to hear.D

Quick Reply: Stage1 Jet Chip. Where does it install? Please Help!