3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Problem (dragging in reverse)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Joe Dirt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Problem (dragging in reverse)

On my '05 QC 4x4 when I stop and back up, my rear brakes make a dragging noise for the first 10 feet or so. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to fix it?

Old 04-06-2006, 12:01 AM
rob[GL]
All Star
Default RE: Brake Problem (dragging in reverse)

It's totally normal, every RAM I have driven in the past couple years have made that noise... I work at a dealership right now, so believe me I drive a lot of them. From the brand new ones, to trucks with plenty of miles on them... Especially with the 20" rims... It's just the rear brake pads... You notice it more when you're backing up, because most people back up very very cautiously, so they let their foot off the break a tiny bit at a time... So the truck starts to move and the rear brakes are still scraping a little bit...

It's totally nothing to worry about, and if you want to test what I'm saying... Go to an empty stretch of street, and put your truck in reverse, let off the brakes gently and you'll hear the sound... Then do the exact same thing, but this time, once you switch into reverse, instead of letting of the brakes really slow, just take your foot off fast, you won't have any scraping sound...

Old 04-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Joe Dirt
Rookie

Thanks Rob

Old 10-10-2007, 05:56 PM
walsh465

thanks rob, I have this same problem, except just today i noticed it does it when im in drive also. i did notice if i back up or go slowly it does make the noise , if i just take offi hear nothing. i was just wondering if it was a serious problem. but i need new brakes anyway they r squealing pretty bad, so ill see if it still does it with new brakes.

[/align]

Old 10-15-2007, 08:11 PM
hogdad

WTF is with this brake dragging B.S. ? My 2004 QCab 4x4with 21000 milesdoes it too. They kinda howl a little if I'm backing up slowly and they do it on slow take offs too. My pads are super meaty soI don't need brakes. I can easily touch the wheels and rear hub so they are not dragging like a **** but they are dragging. I hope this isn;t thr type of Chrysler BS I'm in for because I really like thetruck so far.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Black Dodge For Life

You better keep a close eye on your brakes, because I only have 21000 on my 06 Ram 1500QC 4x4 Hemi and I took it in to check out avibration i felt in the rear, well come to find out both rear rotors were shot rear pads worn to metal, front rotors worped pads about 25%. Keep in mind this is my weekend truck driven normal,we also have 2500s and a 3500 ram that we drive and tow alot with and they are fine,but when I asked what could have caused this problem they were quick to say it is fine,Not covered by warrenty and that it must be my driving habits,even though we have several dodges currently,in the past and hopefully in the future and none of them have ever had that problem made no difference at all. So yes its gonna be that same crap from Chrysler.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:58 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear park brake shoes seperated causing a dragging noise on my 03 1500 4x4.

Quick Reply: Brake Problem (dragging in reverse)