3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.56 gears and fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:21 AM
stripper
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4.56 gears and fuel economy

ORIGINAL: AIR RAM

ORIGINAL: stripper
It is now clear to me...............you have the best MPG Hemi Ram out there! 20.1 mpg is great. I personally think that you should sell a complete package that you can gaurantee would get the gas mileage to all of the people on this board. In these times of high gas prices you would most likely sell a lot. As most people are not seeing this kind of mileage.
As for not being around here long............you are right, but I have been around cars and trucks for over twnety five years. I have done a ton of gear swaps on multiple cars and trucks and I have yet to see anyone of them gain MPG.
9 times out of 10, except in your "proven" case, more gear equals less MPG. Ask yourself this, if a 4.56 picks up MPG....why didn't Dodge use this gear from the factory?? I am pretty sure that a more fuel friendly truck would sell even better and would help Dodge with EPA and gas guzzler taxes??

If you take away taking about the gas mileage with 4.56's you will be left with only things that we all want..............quicker acceleration, and a more responsive truck. No real draw backs except the great debate on the MPG. Now if AIRRAM can get a duplicate package of what he did to his truck, including the gear............we can have our cake and eat it too!! Fuel mileage and the biger gear.

Brad
Ignorance is bliss... What ever you want to think... go ahead and think it. But until you have ACTUAL experience with the third gen Ram and gears... your just guessing. I too have had many vehicles and many gear swaps.. and I would not even think about installing 4.56's in my Pontiac, heck 4:10s are bad enough. But I can not use my experience with my Pontiac and apply it to my Ram because my Pontiac does not have a .67 overdrive and I think my tire height is like 25" tall at the most.. 4.56's in a 3rd gen Ram is the mathimatical equivlent of a 3.05 gear.... Please point out when a 3.05 rear gear ratio became a Gas guzzling gear.

Now I’m not sure if I get the BEST fuel economy out of EVERY RAM on the road... but I do know that I have chosen my mods carefully... so its quite possible that due to my experience with the 3rd Gen Ram... I may know what I’m talking about. Personally I would rather take advice from someone with DIRECT hands on experience than someone with indirect experience with another vehicle. I think its great you have chosen to offer advice... but to jump on me like I’m saying something wrong and the fact that you have ZERO experience with the 3rd Gen Ram (As well as HANKL) I would think that my experience out weighs yours in this case... You have spent allot of money for my results... you have spent NONE but have an abundance of advice...???

So its good that you have done a few gear swaps... but this does not give you experience with the 3rd Gen Ram.. your just here to peddle your parts this is no secret. Your advice is just as good as any advice coming from HANKL... neither of you two have done anything with gears in a 3rd Gen Ram regardless of how much you THINK you know... So before you jump on me telling me Im wrong... go spend some money on your 3rd Gen Ram if you even have one... we all know HANKL does not have one!

ORIGINAL: dodgetk81
I have a Powerwagon with 4.56 And the factory 33" tires. Its a 5speed auto and Im getting 11.0 MPG city/highway.
Your post is intesting and I would like to know more about how the POWER WAGON is set up. Im not making up my results, im not padding them and nearly EVERYONE who has gone from factory gears to 4.56's has reported better fuel economey. So its NOT just me... Now there may be some differences with the POWER WAGON other than the 4.56's How much does it weigh? Is it a 4x4? Is it a 1500 frame? I’m just throwing out possible differences that may cause your 11MPG.

I have NOTHING to gain by sharing my EXPERIENCE... NOTHING. Why would I share this experience other than to help others improve there all round performance. If your unsure... my first advice is to ignore HANKL... he will just miss lead you with his limited experience on his 1st Gen Ram... Then do a search and look up other members who have done the swap... I’m not the only one. Ask them what there results are... Don’t just listen to me... but DO listen to those with the actual hands on experience with the 3rd Gen Ram.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Stop yelling when you type! I am glad that YOU have EXPERIENCE on 3RD GEN RAM(s). It should be singular on the RAMs, shouldn't it?? You are only talking about YOUR truck and the EXPERIENCE with that said truck, right?? I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying that you are the only person to be getting that good of mileage out of YOUR set up. With or without the gears, you are getting great mileage. I just think that you are missing something when you figure your mileage. Go to the post on this board where people are stating there MPG, you have most of them beat by 3-5 MPG, easy!! How do you explain this?? Is it your supernatural powers to pick your mods, I don't think so but hey maybe it is. If someone from this board was to duplicate your setup to the tee, would they get your gas mileage? Tell us what you think if they were to do that, would they get the same? I just want an explanation of how you are the only one with 4.56 gears getting that kind of mileage. I will say this again, if you are truly getting that mileage you have something that you should package and sell. People would buy the hell out of it, me included. I would love to have that mileage!

Now can you answer the question without trying to insult HANKL and myself?? If you can it would be great and would have good info on how to get the mileage you are getting.

Brad

Old 04-11-2006, 02:02 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ohh I was not yelling at all... your response did sound a bit sarcastic though.

Here are a few links over on Dodge. Talk. You will have to "Cut & Paste" the link and then type in the Dodge.Talk (With out the "DOT") where in the "****" though....

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...highlight=4.56

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...ears+installed

There are a ton more post on the subject but you will find in each of these post PEOPLE who have actually installed 4.56's in there Rams... and most all of them report MPG gains... None of them have reported a loss.

I would have used examples from this site but there are not as many people on this site who have done the mod in question...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 04-11-2006, 02:28 AM
95magnumV6

ORIGINAL: mikahb

I know everybody's saying no change to your Limited Slip unit. But, I know on some axles once you get over 4.10's you have to install a different carrier than the 4.10 and lower gears use. If you had to change carrier, it seems likely you'd have to change Limited Slip units also. Could be that's not the case on this axle, I dunno - just a thought.
Mikahb, when you change gears you just swap two gears with different number of teeth, that's all. Nothing to do with LSD. There is no really need to replace carrier either. Many people though take the opportunity and replace the LSD for better unit like Auburn or some off-roaders go for Detroit locker etc.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:46 AM
HoustonHEMI
Professional

3.92 on my new 2006 Ram. I'll let you know after I get more miles on it how it does.

H.H.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:05 PM
lifted5.9

I have the 5.9 2002 reg gas Qc ram 1500. Will 4.56 gears inprove my gas mileage as well? If so by how much?

Old 07-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Sam!
Professional

ORIGINAL: lifted5.9

I have the 5.9 2002 reg gas Qc ram 1500. Will 4.56 gears inprove my gas mileage as well? If so by how much?
what size tires are you running?? I just did my gear swap and all i can say now is, it gets to cruising speed easier and faster then it did with the 3.55 gears. it holds a nice cruise speed without needing to come out of overdrive all the time or having to punch it on the slightest inclines. So i know it will be better on MPG and easier on the tranny which is what i was trying to help out. oh yeah and im running 35's which i feel it is right where i want it. some say 4.88 would have been better.. I don't know I guess it would have if i was towing more with the truck but as it is. I think it pretty good and far better then the old gears. oh and who knows i might go to 33's after this set of tires which might be a better match for the gears.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:33 AM
lifted5.9

Im running 37" tires with a 6"lift. I was thinking of going to 33"-35"tires buy Im affraid the 33's will look to small. I also heard a smaller tire will inprove mpg but cant wait to try out some 4.56 gears. Im 4x4 as well

Old 07-07-2006, 12:16 AM
ramit69

ive read all the post and still a few questions... now i have a 4.7 with 3.92 and stock 17" chrome clad wheels. eventually i will be getting some 20" or 22" aftermarket rims. my question will the 4.56's work with the stock 17's because i was reading and you guys were talking about 33" tires and all. i want to do the mod but not sure how it will be affected with the smaller tires. should i wait till after i get the rims ? any help is much appreciated thanks steve

Old 07-07-2006, 12:29 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ramit69

ive read all the post and still a few questions... now i have a 4.7 with 3.92 and stock 17" chrome clad wheels. eventually i will be getting some 20" or 22" aftermarket rims. my question will the 4.56's work with the stock 17's because i was reading and you guys were talking about 33" tires and all. i want to do the mod but not sure how it will be affected with the smaller tires. should i wait till after i get the rims ? any help is much appreciated thanks steve
I have a 2002 4.7L with 4.56's and I have used several different size tires on my truck to include the 29.75" tall 17's for approximately 10,000 miles... I would have had it NO other way.... Now with those shorter tires your fuel economey window is going to be closer to 60-65MPH, with the taller 32" tall tires your window will be more 65-70MPH... The 4.56's should be the first mod on your list you will NOT be disapointed.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 07-07-2006, 12:51 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

AirRam, I agree correctly calculated gears are very important and overlooked when people modify vehicles.

I have a question for you. In one of the previous posts you say that lower rpm's can burn more gas when under load.

Are you saying that at a given RPM, say 1500 RPM's, the motor burns more fuel when pulling a trailer or going up a hill at 1500 RPM's versus driving down a flat road at 1500 RPM's?

How does the fuel injection know to burn more fuel because the truck is under load versus unloaded at the same RPM. Doesn't the truck just sense engine RPM, air temp, air flow....

Only thing I can think of is reading a pressure from the tranny, but even then there are so many variables between tangent force to the ground at the tire and pump pressure in the transmission.

Quick Reply: 4.56 gears and fuel economy