3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting the wheels off??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Cliff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the wheels off??

Hello all, 04 Dodge Ram SLT quad cab, we have the 17 inch aluminum wheels on it and we are having a really hard time pulling the wheels off. We removed the lugnuts and it is extremely tough to pull it off. Nothing works. It only has 8,000 miles on it so I doubt it's a rust issue, any ideas? It is so tough that kicking from the inside doesn't even work. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:15 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Getting the wheels off??

When you get it off you will see some rust.

Take the palm of your hand and pound the heck out of the tire, from the outside. Get the tire "rocking". Keep moving your hand around the tire.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Cliff
Rookie

Thank you, I will give it a try and post back.

EDIT: No luck. This thing is stuck on good. It is basically like trying to get the wheels off with the lugnuts on. No use. Just some sore hands now. Anymore ideas?

Old 04-09-2006, 12:33 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

If you have a piece of small wood...like a 2x4 or even a 2x2.....take and place it against the wheel and smack it once or twice a sledgehammer or a hammer period. Preferably something 2ft long so that someone else can help hold it in one place...I had to smack one of my wheels off on my Lebaron doing just that....usually I suggest if necessity dictates this.....that you smack one side of it....so as to try and break the wheel loose...

Old 04-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Cliff
Rookie

Okay thanks, this thing is so stubborn, we are gonna take it over to shakopee dodge and get it under arranty hopefully. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 04-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Quacker
Amateur

One time I had something like this. I backed off the lug nuts about one turn, sprayed PB Blaster or you could use WD 40 and drove back and forth in the driveway and it broke loose then I was able to take the wheel off. just back the lug nuts enough to not hurt the threads when it pops.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:43 PM
pythonbunny
Professional

you have to hit it with a dead blow hammer from the inside the aluminum almost like welds itself to the metal just wack the rim from the inside really good and it will seperate it has happened to me on the side of the road and even dented a pair of steel toe boots kicking the rim then called a tow truck he just took a mallet from the back and boom right off.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Cliff
Rookie

ORIGINAL: pythonbunny

you have to hit it with a dead blow hammer from the inside the aluminum almost like welds itself to the metal just wack the rim from the inside really good and it will seperate it has happened to me on the side of the road and even dented a pair of steel toe boots kicking the rim then called a tow truck he just took a mallet from the back and boom right off.
We're trying to do this without damaging it. We don't have any rubber mallets at the moment either. We are going to try one more thing and if that doesn't work, we'll just take it to the dealer. Thank you to quacker, but won't that hurt the studs?

Quick Reply: Getting the wheels off??