3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disappointed in the 2006 Ram and HEMI

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Scootr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disappointed in the 2006 Ram and HEMI

Love my 06 Sport...try going from a 6 Speed 4.0L Jeep Wrangler like I did! This feels like a friggin rocket compared to that thing.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:53 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I think they tweeked the TCM in the 2006's to improve the gas mileage. It seems like everyday there is a post on here where someone is complaining about the mileage on the Hemi. I am sure Dodge hears it a million times a day, and decided to give people what they wanted.

I am going to hold onto my 2004 Ram until 2008 when the 4th Gen Ram's come out. Hopefully by then, when Chevy and Nissan are out performing the Ram, Dodge will get a clue and unleash the beast.

On a sidenote, I know a lot of people on here gave Rob[L] crap when he said the 2006's were slow compared to his 2005. Well, last weekend I came up on an 06 - 4x4 QC just like my 2004. It had a Hemi too. We played around a little, and when we got to a stoplight, we both floored it. I had him beat by a truck length - and I had my Superchips tuner set on stock. Being that the trucks aren't that different, I would attribute it to the torque management system.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:02 AM
paulphilly
Rookie

My best friend had a regular cab 04' Hemi and traded it in last year on a 05' QC Hemi. I am getting ready to buy a 06' QC myself and recently went on a test drive. First, I do believe that my friends 05' "seems" quicker but only because of the throttle IMHO. You can barely touch the throttle in his truck and spin the tires. The 06' is not as "touchy" and appears to be that way for better 4-Wheeling and wet conditions (I really like this feature). Also, I absolutely love the front coilover suspension along with the improved hydroformed framed...all great improvements. Further, I read that the tranny was improved for longer durability and tweaked for the new cyl. deaction system. As far as looks? Obviously, this is a subjective matter and not everyone is going to like the looks. I personally like how Dodge toned down the grille a bit and made the front have sharper angles.....again, IMHO. But, at the end of the day, we can all agree that Dodge has come a LONG way and I feel that they are making great quality products. I am **** retentive and I can tell you that I have recently test drove the Tundra, F150, and Titan. Historically, I have been a big Toyota guy who really appreciates quality and attention to detail. I can say that after analyzing the heck out of all these trucks, the Dodge and Toyota are the only 2 that I would invest in. But, the Ram seems just as refined as the Tundra now and looks/performs better. The Tundra is for the car enthusiast who wants a truck bed. Anyway, enough rambling. I really believe the Ram is the best looking, greatly refined, bad-*** pickup on the road.....which is why I am getting ready to either order or buy one.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Hemimadman06
Rookie

I Hate to Dogg my new truck but i used to drive an 03 ford ranger and it would actually brake torque and spin the tires unlike my 2006 hemi...i dont knwo what dodge was thinking but i think they made a horrible mistake with the new hemi......Very un-satisfied....

Old 04-20-2006, 02:28 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you put a big *** engine in cool looking truck, most are going to use that power and use more flue in the process, than complain about how much gas it use's, so Chrysler get's creatative with this mds ( GM has it as well ) and most complain abought the lack of power, I doubt mileage is going to improve, tow a trailer, Mds is useless, drive up a hill at highway speed, MDS is useless, This is still a big heavy truck.

Throw away the automatic, go to a reg cab go to 321 gearing and drive a steady 55 mph, Heni's are not that bad on flue or go to the ford 5.4 3v that at idle is louder than a cummons, power for power the Hemi out the door is a hard package to beat.

All my previous truck's were new Fords, Now I'm the Alfa pack when my 2500 Ram is built.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:09 PM
mexpower74

Well, i bought mine on May 06, i used to have a Reg.Cab 03 3.7 STD, and i surely wanted to repeat the Mopar thing, so i bought the 1500 Hemi 5.7 Night Runner Package. WOOOW, and i mean WOOOW! The MDS is a sweet thing in highway, it turns down the fuel engulfing beast by a 20% indeed. My 2000 Neon SE is getting his turbo installed, but i tried the Runner in the race track, All u need to do to burn some serious rubber is to click the TOW/HAUL button and that's it! No more MDS! Say hi to smoke clouds! I've been messing with the truck lately, and went straight for a GT4082 @ 8 psis, oh my lord! The beast was unleashed indeed. We calculate a very decent 490 whp with the turbo, but now i want to install an LSD because sometimes the truck just goes burnout after burnout! I do have some throttle body issues, mostly because it doesn't manage compressed air very well, but we are working on it. But turbo aside, the truck is one mean metal beast by its own right!

Old 08-13-2006, 10:21 PM
arrowman
Professional

I love my 06 twice as much as my 03.
I'll probably love it 5 times as much once I find a no-drill brushguard solution... And an exhaust that won't fubar the MDS without sounding wierd.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:51 PM
onlyone
Rookie

I drove an 05 Hemi Ram the day I bought my 06. The throtle response was much better. In my opinion it was too much. As far as power is concerned they both put me in the seat the same. Look at it this way, If someone with an 05 and older want to run against an 06, you better get some traction, because the 06's will hook and book while the 05's are sittin and spinnin. The 06's ride much better. A little too bouncy on the highway, but thats just the shocks. Easy fix.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:01 AM
Shagler

I am new to this truck thing (got a used '02 4.7L 1500 last week), but I am not sure I understand why you would want to "spin the tires". It just seems like a foolish thing to "want" to do. My truck seems to spin tires quite a bit, but I am still getting used to the touchy pedal. In a year or two, I will be looking to trade this in for a much newer model and it is nice to know that they are doing something to soften out the touchy pedal.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:16 PM
06ram
Rookie

my buddy has an 05 qc daytona....i gotta admit that his is a little more "peppier," but my o6 qc is just so much more refined: much more quieter in the cab, more smoother driving...etc . .

Quick Reply: Disappointed in the 2006 Ram and HEMI