3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disappointed in the 2006 Ram and HEMI

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 07:55 AM
HoustonHEMI
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed in the 2006 Ram and HEMI

I purchased my first Dodge in November 2004 when I became the proud owner of a new Black Dodge Ram Quad Cab HEMI powered. I absolutely loved the truck! It was basically a Laramie with cloth seats. All the chrome, Infinity sound system with remote controls on the steering wheel, remote adjustable pedals, all the add-ons I could want.

What I loved best about the truck was the performance and handling, nothing less but awesome! The truck was quick and turned on a dime. If I had anything negative to say about the truck it was high maintenance as far as Chevy's and Fords go. Had to change the rear differential oil every 15,000 miles instead of 100,000 like the other two, 7 quarts of oil, 20 inch tires, etc but it was worth it.

After two years I had accumulated 74,000 miles and decided to trade it in on a new one. March 25th I traded the black one in for a new 2006 Blue Quad Cab HEMI Laramie package.

The truck is beautiful and a little quieter than the 2004 but that's where it stops. The new Variable Displacement HEMI isn't near as peppy as the older HEMI. The new 5 speed transmission takes a while to get use too. It's almost feels as if you're in a standard when the first two to three gears shift, very annoying. The truck now handles like a Chevy 3/4 ton. Very heavy feeling, almost a boat like ride. Nothing like the 2004 with the sport's car feel.

I can't believe Dodge didn't leave the suspension and HEMI the way it was. ~If it ain't broke don't fix it~ Sure this is still a great truck and I'm glad I took it over the Ford or Chevy but the confidence of knowing I could pull away from either FORD or Chevy at a stop light isn't there anymore.

I have a buddy that just traded his in also and even though both his trucks weren't HEMI powered he says the same thing. Not as peppy and doesn’t handle as good.

Has anyone else had this experience?

H.H. ~disappointed~

Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Disappointed in the 2006 Ram and HEMI

Its not the motor. First, make sure you are using 89oct. see post below. Some have noticed a big hp gain in just switching from 87oct to 89oct. Its a new MDS motor so its gonna be different from your older HEMI. Dodge adjusted the pedal feel so it would'nt be so toe-tappy-touchy. This give the truck better starting in slippery conditions and makes shifting into lo-4x4 easier. The new excelent hydroformed frame is the biggest change in the new Ram. If you like a stiffer ride you should have tested the 2500/3500HD with solid front axles. It rides like it was carved out of one piece of steel. So far it has yet to be proven anyone is getting better real world mpg with the MDS system on the Ram. Only time will tell is the MDS is suited for a full size pickup truck. The tranny was always Dodge's weak point and they may have finally got a winner with the new 5speed. There aint no Chevy or Ford gonna take the 06 Hemi just learn to drive it different than your last truck. The RAM is more of a refined animal now but its stilll the alpha bull in the corral.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:04 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I keep hearing all these 2006 owners complaining about the throttle response and performance of the truck.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:31 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

SandieGoHemi...

Do you remember the thread I made about comparing my 05 to the 06... And everyone flamed the **** out of me, and told me I was totally wrong, even though I've driven plenty of 2003-2005's and have access to over a hundred 2006's...

Well, every day there are more consumers with the exact same experience as me...

Everything I said in my thread is being repeated here...

It's quiter and that's about the only redeeming feature... It doesn't handle as well, it's slower, it's not as nice looking exterior wise...

Old 04-10-2006, 02:00 PM
wipedawg

was your 2004 and is your 2006 both half ton trucks? Or did you get a 3/4 ton this time. The solid front axle of the 3/4 and full ton is going to ride a bit rougher... but thats because its a real truck. If you are going to have a heavy duty pickup... it needs to have a solid front axle.

If both of your trucks are the IFS 1500... then thats weird why it would handle differently.. since its pretty much the EXACT same suspension... it wouldn't make any mechanical sense why, unless they are using a softer shock.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:07 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mystro
There aint no Chevy or Ford gonna take the 06 Hemi just learn to drive it different than your last truck. The RAM is more of a refined animal now but its stilll the alpha bull in the corral.
Even GM's 6.0L or Votec Max ?????????

Old 04-10-2006, 03:20 PM
wreckless123
Rookie

I have never drove a 03-05 Ram, but when I drove my 06 for the first time I thought it felt pretty strong. I towed a 6500 pound trailer the other day and it pulled it like it was nothing. I know the 06 has TONS of torgue management programed into it, maybe thats it. Maybe you guys who think it is down on power need to get a programmer when superchips finaly releases it and let us know what you find. I bet it is a night and day difference..

Old 04-10-2006, 06:17 PM
HoustonHEMI
Professional

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. I'm new here and this was my first time to post.

First of all both trucks were half ton 2WD. I suppose the reason I noticed the difference is because I've been driving the 2004 for 2 years and then went directly into the 2006.

I know very well about the gas octane in relation to the HEMI. I burn Chevron 89 octane and use only Mobil One synthetic oil in all my vehicles. ~(and yes, I know about using only 5W20 in the new HEMI). I'm quite good with mechanical engineering. Being a technical advisor with Continental Airlines for over 20 years and assisting the Miss Buswieser racing team has been a plus.

I would suggest that those of you that have a pre-2006 HEMI go to the dealer and test drive one for yourself. I'm talking 1/2 ton to 1/2 ton here. My bet is you will notice a big difference.

Now I do think the 2006 is a better looking truck. Perhaps not as mean looking but a little more define. Don't get me wrong, I love the new truck however it's not as much a kick-in-the-pants as the 2004.

I will admit, the truck is getting a little quicker as it breaks in. Currently I have 867 miles on the new ride. I wasn't aware that they adjusted the pedal for wet weather driving but that was a good call. I can't recall how many times I broke the rear tires loose from a stop during wet weather, especially when it just stated to mist.

I'll post some pics of both as soon as I have more time to figure out how.

Thanks,
H.H.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Nelliebly

ORIGINAL: jnellydodge

ORIGINAL: Mystro
There aint no Chevy or Ford gonna take the 06 Hemi just learn to drive it different than your last truck. The RAM is more of a refined animal now but its stilll the alpha bull in the corral.
Even GM's 6.0L or Votec Max ?????????

I am very pleased with mine. Why? I had at 2001 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0 with a tick that started at 5000 miles. I mean it was a clatter, and was told there wasn't a problem. A gasser shouldn't sound like a diesel at start up, it would quiet a bit after running, but you could still hear it. My new truck has more power and am fully happy with how that performs. If I had to change anything, it would be more cup holders for rear passengers in the Mega Cab. Other than that, this truck moves and handles just fine.

Nell

Old 04-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Rebzilla32

Well I have a 06 QC Hemi and so far I am very pleased. My Moms boyfriend has a 03 and mine rides nicer and I feel its got more pep to it than his but his also has 80k on it. It brakes good seems to handle well when its sitting in my driveway running if it wasnt for the exhaust you wouldnt know it was running its very quiet and smooth, all I run in it is premium gas maybe thats why I havent heard of this "Hemi Tick". I guess if there is one complaint its when the MDS kicks in you get alot of cabin drone from the Aero-turbine muffler but I found if I drive around town with OD turned off it doesnt do it. So far 1500 miles and all is good.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in the 2006 Ram and HEMI