3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New lights (Hey BlackAcid)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 05:05 AM
GotHemi?
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New lights (Hey BlackAcid)

I just did the off road light install behind the grill on my 04 Ram. Man is it SICK!! I love how much light it is throwing down the road and it is so bright if I were to tailgate it lights up the whole interior of the slow poke in the left lane. I tested it with a friend and he said it is not bad when oncoming but when tailgating it is brutal. It also throws a lot of light upwards and is very good for reading overhead signs on the toll-way. It also make the truck look about two feet wider! I installed a PIAA wiring harness combined with some Westin lights I scored. All total it was 75 bucks. I had a lot of help from a very generous friend who lent his wiring expertise to this situation and let's just say my set-up looks really slick. I will post pictures if I can or maybe a link. If you are curious just look at BlackAcids set-up, mine is pretty much identical. I had considered this Mod for a few months and man am I glad it's done now, well worth it but I would suggest you have a little previous knowlege of truck wiring before tackeling this project, I was inept prior to this mad and all I could do was stay out of the way for the most part. Good luck to all, this mod will make your rig stand out, especially at night!

Here is BlackAcids set up. I hope he dosen't mind me passing it on but it was helpful to me. Mine is VERY similar.

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....-2-album-19222

Old 04-13-2006, 05:34 AM
oppie311
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New lights (Hey BlackAcid)

Did the same exact thing about a month ago except with Hella lights. It adds SO MUCH to the grill. I've had about 5 people ask me if it came that way from the factory or if I did it. They all loved it. I HIGHLY recommend this mod.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Oppie,

You got pics of yours? I still think I want to go for an external light bar (haven't found what I want yet), but I'm interested in seeing your setup.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you post a pic with the hood down and them turned on and off?? Thanks.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:28 PM
qdawg76
Rookie

yes please post a pic with hood down and lights on

Old 04-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Hope he doesn't mind, but I found these in his album on that site. There were more pics. I can't tell exactly how much light those will throw out, but it looks pretty nice if you ask me:

My question is, though, will that heat up the plastic grill to the point of damage after a while?

Old 04-13-2006, 03:05 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Perhaps if you turned the truck on, and turned the lights on, and let the truck sit there for hours on end... Perhaps it would get hot enough to melt the plastic... But when you're driving, the airflow across the lights should be more than efficient to prevent damage...

Also, the only time I can think that you would let your truck idle for a long period of time, is in the winter... Again, should prevent any damage...

Old 04-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Rob,

Who's the big dude in your pics? He's a tall muthertrukker! DAMN YOU MOM AND DAD FOR MY INFERIOR GENETICS!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2006, 05:27 PM
dieselram
Captain

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

Perhaps if you turned the truck on, and turned the lights on, and let the truck sit there for hours on end... Perhaps it would get hot enough to melt the plastic... But when you're driving, the airflow across the lights should be more than efficient to prevent damage...

Also, the only time I can think that you would let your truck idle for a long period of time, is in the winter... Again, should prevent any damage...
Also, you could just open the hood if you had to sit and idle for a long time with them on (when would you have to sit for a long time with off-road lights on and not be able to open the hood).

Old 04-13-2006, 05:55 PM
qdawg76
Rookie

Definately looks good

Quick Reply: New lights (Hey BlackAcid)