3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine lights emissions/fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:41 PM
TEF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine lights emissions/fuel gauge

I've done a search for this and came up with nothing. I've got an 02' Ram 1500 QC 4.7 with approx 41k miles. I got a p0442 code a couple of months ago. (Emissions leak low volume or something like that). I took it to the dealer and even though I bought the Chrysler extended warranty which is good for nothing they want $90 bucks just to look at it. I took it home. Today at lunch my fuel light came on even though the truck is full, and the gauge hit empty. The overhead console shows dashes in the DTE.

It is now throwing codes:
P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input
P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

Should I look for a fuse? Is there somewhere I can find the voltages/wiring diagram that should be coming out of the sending unit or charcoal canister?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
buckw1
Professional
Default RE: engine lights emissions/fuel gauge

Almost sounds like something got at the wires around the fuel tank/vapor cannister. Crawl under and have a look for anything amiss especially the wires and connectors.

Extended warranties are insurance, you still have a deductable and none pay for "checking out the problem" Is your time worth anything? So is the techs/shops.
Now, the dealer "may" apply the diagnostic charge toward the repair if tear down is needed to find the problem or work it into the warranty claim but you have to be willing to pay if it is not possible.

Buck

Old 04-24-2006, 07:02 PM
TEF

I'll check those when I get home... If I get home.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:50 AM
TEF

ok... wires look fine and the 2 new engine codes fixed themselves? [:@] I guess it's a good thing but it will just happen again if I don't fix the problem. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: engine lights emissions/fuel gauge