3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird thing with gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:27 PM
eatsleepdrivesc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weird thing with gas mileage

FUNNY BUT TRUE yea same here facts are im seeing better gas mileage and a bit more power and i used 91 so fin

Old 05-10-2006, 01:51 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

ORIGINAL: AeroRam
Allow me to add to this. The octane rating has NOTHING to do with "cleaner" fuel. Running higher octane than required by the OEM won't "clean out" you fuel system or engine. If you really want to clean out your fuel system then run some fuel injector cleaner through the system every few thousand miles. I don't care what you mechanic brother in law or your dad told you about "cleaner gas". You can trust me on this. I have an aerospace engineering degree and fuel properties and characteristics are just some of the many things we learn about.

Now as for which brand puts in better additives, debate all you want. One thing you might want to do if you live near a state border is check out what the differences are between the two state mandated fuel additives and ratios. Often times they are different.
I think the intent here was to indicate that the premium gases (high end stations) with the additives keep deposits from forming on valves, injector nossels and pistons. if you could run 1/2 your motor with premium fuels and the other 1/2 with lower grade fuels and yank the heads you'd see the difference from one side to the other. I had the heads off my 360 twice and the 1st time i was scrapping the pistons to clean up the carbon deposits, the 2nd time around there was next to nothing.

the cleaner your injector nossels the better the spray pattern and the better the mix is.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:31 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

schawks73, You said you saw from 87 to 93 Octane fuel, did you notice if any of it had Alcohol blended in the fuel. If you add 10% Alcohol to gas it will up the Octane by 2 numbers. I have noticed that some people get good mpg when the gas is blended with 10% Alcohol and other do not. So the next time you fuel see if the gas had 10% Alcohol blended in with it.

In my old '05, 4.7 any thing over 87 did not increase my mpg but every motor is diferent. Heck the best mpg I got was from Exxon and it's 85.5 Octane when I was driving in MT. Any body know why MT uses lower Octane then other parts of the US.

Charles

Old 05-10-2006, 06:50 PM
TheRedMonkey
Professional

Skip Exxon Mobil, they are the ones that are really screwing us when it comes to gas prices. They have record profits with the littlest investment in new exploration and are not investing in any refineries since that is one of the justifications of the high prices. Right now Chevron is moving to develop a 60 billion barrel field recently found off the coast of Louisiana and Shell is building an uber refinery here in CA that will process three to four times more fuel than existing refineries. If they invest then I will buy their product. You all should do the same. ALso BP owns ARCO and they have the same fuel. In fact a lot of the fuel comes from the same spot and the additives are added to the truckload. Not much real difference where is comes from but they profit when you pull it out of the pump too.

By the way remember that the Feds get 41 cents per gallon and the oil companys get a dime. Who is ripping us off? And for a side note I am a republican so you know I hate to spend.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 PM
sysengr1
Rookie

I'm a Chevron man myself also. I have come close to running out of gas before just to find a Chevron station. I try to avoid the stations that are owned by the (foreigner) shady folks who don't seem to care. No telling if they're even putting Chevron in the tanks (or whatever is cheapest).

If I can find a mainstream or, even better, FULL SERVICE Chevron (not many of these left, but a few in my area), that's my pick.

And I wouldn't touch Exxon/Mobil with a ten-foot pole. I can usually find a Chevron or Texaco\Shell within reach.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunoco 94oct is the top shelf fuel in the north east. I run 89oct as per Hemi spec but run 94oct in my Harley and Roadster.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:16 AM
1OF27
Rookie

Truth be known most of your gas is coming from the same place, be it the "crap station" as you so eloquently put it or Chevron/Texaco.etc. In most states there a couple of refineries providing fuels to all brands of stations. Each tanker gets the appropriate "mix" for the stations it will be serving. It is preferable to burn the lowest octane possible. That releases the maximum heat (power) from the fuel in the alloted burn time. Burning high octane fuels in low compression motors is a waste of money and fuel. The biggest impact on mileage will be the additive and oxygenate package in the fuel. Here in the great State of Minnesota, the state were nothing is allowed, we are forced to buy corn-gas. The alcohol in the fuel robs us of about 15% of our potential mileage as there is less energy in the same volume of alcohol.

As for the RedMonkey's scheme…you obviously have very little knowledge of economics, the markets and business in general. But hey, we all have something we are not very good at. Your little scheme in skipping Exxon/Mobil will result in nothing! Nada! Zip! Zilch!

Do you think for a minute that boycotting Exxon/Mobil will bring prices down??? Your demand shifting strategy will result in Exxon/Mobil selling their product to the other players in the market to help them fill the sudden demand surge they will experience. Exxon/Mobil fuel still sends up in your tank! They still get paid for their product! The demand curve hasn’t changed! You might succeed in putting a few local station owners in the unemployment line. Is that your intention? Wipe out your friends and neighbors who are small business owners?

You need to fundamentally change the curve to bring prices down. Prices are not only affected by demand at the pump, but by other petro-based products, speculators, hedge funds, commodity ETFs, etc. If you want to bring prices down, reduce your consumption, along with the consumption of about 280 million other Americans. That means stop buying gasoline. That is what about 50% of a barrel of oil gets turned into. Then stop buying petro-derivatives. That means clothing, personal care products, medicines, roofing, cell phones, pens, shoes and on and on.

The other option is to increase supply to allow the companies to crack the crude that is on the market. But no refinery has been built in the U.S. since 1979 thanks in good part to the enviro-***** and the NIMBY crowd.

So back away from the pump. Buy only organic based products when possible. And you might be able to begin to truly impact the supply/demand curve.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:20 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

RedMonkey just got owned

Old 05-12-2006, 02:14 PM
rambob
Rookie

HemiBuell, thats just the type of attitude that keeps people from doing anything. That wont work B.S.! It will start competition between stations. And so waht if you put some of them out of busness. A lot of those bastards (STATION OWNERS) are making out like bandits just like the oil companies.
We do need to decrease consumption and increase production, but in the mean time we need to at least try to make things as miserable as possible for the oil companies and retailers.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:25 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I dont think the station owners are making out like bandits... just the oil companies.

As for cheep vs quality gas at different stations... believe what you want, pay what you want, all I can add is I made a believer out of one of my kids by telling her to switch to Chevron and see for herself. using the same octane gas of 87 and by going to Chevron over Arco (cheepest ones around) she gained 2.0 mpg in her honda. oops showing my age here lol...

Quick Reply: Weird thing with gas mileage