3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird thing with gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:51 AM
eatsleepdrivesc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird thing with gas mileage

Hey all i got the 4.7 in my ram and last week i filled up my 34 gallon tank with premium (91 octane) just because i have been running regular (87 octane) and it was really weird, my drive to work is 30 miles one way and usually when using regular i will use approx 1/8 tank just getting to work. no when i filled up with premium i went to work and home from work on less thna a 1/8 tank.. i just found this weird so this week again i put premium in again and its still doing in.. i ran 91 just to help clean it out but it seems to be getting me way better gas mileage.. i would apperciate any thoughts into why you guys thing this is happening it just weird to me.. in my other cars i would run premium like every fourth or fifth tank to clean it out but nothing like this happened before.... thanks for you input in advance

Old 05-09-2006, 01:39 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Weird thing with gas mileage

Ive had the same results on all of my cars & trucks in the past. better to just get premium to begin with. another thing to mention is that if you buy gas from crapstations, you get worse performance in the mpg area. I always used Chevron or Union 76 premium.

I wouldnt be supprise to here you got 1 mpg better.

another thing that will help on the hiway is a tonneau cover. I just had mine installed on the 3rd gen ram and it's getting about .75~1.0 mpg better than without it (on the hiway).

Old 05-09-2006, 02:55 PM
b3nzyme

i have an '05 4.7 QC too and i've noticed the same thing. Have you noticed an increase in acceleration or are you the common "soft-foot"? lol

i dont know why it happens but you are not the only one. the only complaint i have about using premium all the time is that my custom glass pack duals are quieter and sound more muffled and rumbly with premium. and when i run on regular it is louder, hurts your ears, gets you noticed and has a lot of bang bang pop pop coming out of the back. the bang bang pop pop is why i started using premium in the first place. anyways i get picked on and laughed at and called stupid but i can swear to you.. i get better gas mileage and performance with it. people are like "no the gas won't give you mpg and performance" because they are stupid. they don't understand im trying to say its the MOTOR that responds to the gasoline and does that.

sorry for rambling. im bad at that lol.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
b3nzyme

but its really worth the extra 4 or so dollars per gallon

Old 05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
eatsleepdrivesc
Veteran

yea i only use chevron and from now on im only gonna use premium cause like b3nzyme said their more acceleration and when i crusing on the high way the meter is higher than normal.. yea i understand what your saying the grade of gas makes a difference my dads a ASE for 30+ years and he says it cant hurt and actually your only gonna clean your engine and help it..so for the extra 6 so dollars per fill up i see it as worth it. too me im already paying 90 per fill up whats another 6 right!!!??? yea those crap stations suck i used to use 7-11 before on my station wagon but it ran like ****, chevron is the only thing i use..

Old 05-09-2006, 04:59 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: b3nzyme

but its really worth the extra 4 or so dollars per gallon
I think you mean tank... yeah it is if your using premium fuels (chevron, union 76 etc). the additives that are in the fuel will keep your injectors & filters clean which in turn reduces problems down the road. they also help to keep the combustion chamber clean. also, the greater the gas milage, the more cost affective it is. from my calculations... anything over 1.0 mpg difference then you start saving money... based on 14mpg vs 15 mpg & premium costing $3.00/gal (reg is usually 0.20 cheeper).

Old 05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: eatsleepdrivesc

....yea those crap stations suck i used to use 7-11 before on my station wagon but it ran like ****, chevron is the only thing i use..
I had an old '78 chevy truck w/350 in it that got exclusively the cheepest gas I could find. the truck ran like crap and I could never figure it out. One day I had no option but to run chevron and by the end of the tank I had noticed it was running better so i switched for a while (regular gas only) and noticed that it always ran better. then oneday I had no choice but to use the crap gas and bamm, my crappy running motor was back. it was then that i decided chevron was the prefered way to go. I dont recall if I ever ran premium in it or not but I bet it would have helped milage on it.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
squat
Rookie

So just for my clarification: running 91 instead of the recommended 89 won't hurt my hemi?? Also, is there an easy way to find out what gas stations in town are 'good' vs 'crap'? There's a station in town that sells 91 at the same price as 87, seems like a steal of a deal but I don't trust it so I don't go there. We have some shell stations around and a Super America, that's where I usually go. Do the stations say somewhere that their gas comes from BP/Chevron etc.?

Old 05-09-2006, 05:14 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

if there is a chevron or union 76/phillips (same thing) i'd go there. Shell is probably ok, years back I had issues with shell and stopped using it.

edit: oops... your hemi will love you for it...

Old 05-09-2006, 05:51 PM
rambob
Rookie

I got some news for you guy's. There is no difference in the additives in the additives between 87 and 93 octane. Different brands use different additives, like Chevron uses Techron. Also high octane, 91 and higher has a slower burn rate than regular, thats why it doesn't knock in high compression engines.
87 octane burns faster so it is better for lower compression engines. I'm not saying weather or not you get better milage with permium, but a lot of times burning a higher octane fuel in lower compression engines will just dirty or soot up the combustion chambers because they can't compleetly burn it due to the slower burn rate.

Quick Reply: Weird thing with gas mileage