3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electric cut outs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Ramman21
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric cut outs

Just wondering what, if any, the advantage of these would be as opposed to say a flowmaster,borla, gibson, etc.. besides the un-godly loudness? Performance, etc... What if you installed them and left them open all the time, would it hurt the truck at all, what about the sensor just behind the cat. just a few questions. thanks guys

Old 05-21-2006, 03:31 AM
nos4fuel
Veteran
Default RE: electric cut outs

Leaving them open wont hurt the truck as long as they are installed after the cat, if you install them before the cat and leave them open you will throw a list of codes longer than the Chin section of a Chinease phone book. I havent heard of cut-outs yeilding performance gains, they just sound loud but if you want a rich and throaty tone, go Flowmaster Super 40s, no doubt about, they are the ones to have. See the thread entitled "Yup, another exhaust question" for Super 40 sound clips, man they sound mean!

Old 05-21-2006, 08:40 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Super flowmaster 40's and have also the electric cutout.
Whilst the 40's sound wonderful.....................the cutouts sound AWESOME.
Plus, I have read that before the cutouts (with 02 sensor simulator fitted) 20 RWHP gain and after, 12RWHP on a dyno.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Nicky B
Captain

Where can I get electic cut-out's and what do they exactly do?

Old 05-21-2006, 08:49 PM
nos4fuel
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Nicky B

Where can I get electic cut-out's and what do they exactly do?
abarmby will be able to better assist you for where you can get your cut-outs but all the cut-outs do is bypass the muffler and make it REALLY loud. Maybe abarmby will be able to post some sound clips. I have heard cut-outs and they sound INCREDIBLE! I hope that you can find what ur looking for.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:12 PM
dvcap2004
Professional

what do you guys thinks sounds better with cut outs. single to dual and just have one cut out, or true duals (two pipes, one for each header) with a cut out on each pipe?

Old 05-22-2006, 04:02 AM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

i have a flowmaster super forties exhaust on my 04 (single in dual out) and was planning on replacing the stock manifolds with some headers and replacing the stock catalytic converters with some magnaflow cats. my question is, would electric cutouts work with this setup and what would be the best place to install them (before or after the cat?) and how much do they cost?

Old 05-22-2006, 04:51 AM
Ramman21
Professional

from what i have heard, the whole point is to bypass your cat. they run from 250-350 from what i have seen

Old 05-22-2006, 07:29 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine from DMH. Dave who runs the place is an ace guy and they warranty the product for 4 years.
That's how good the quality is and what made my mind up for me.
I've had my cutouts on now for about 3 weeks or so and have had no problems and the quality of the cutout is excellent!
You can fit them either before the cats or after.
If before, they are apparently louder and give 20 RWHP on the dyno, but you need 02 simulators wired up to fool your ecu into thinking your 02 sensors are still there............
Or, a few guys who I have read have done it this way, just run with the 02 sensors tucked up out of the way. Some get codes and some don't.
Then there's after the cat, giving 12 RWHP on the dyno.
Either way, the only negetive part is the warning light on the dash if fitted before the cat.
I fitted mine after the cat and it's still VERY loud. I've thrown no codes and can definately feel a bit of extra power especially in the 3-5000 rpm range on the old buttometer. Also, if you feather the throttle, you can still keep things quiet or just throw the switch to closed.
I can't post a sound clip unfortunately, but the DMH web site has a few on there that you can here.
Here's the link :- http://www.dmhperformance.com/
I've also seen positive postings of this cutout, but can't speak from experience as I don't have this type fitted. http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/
There's all kinds of video and audio clips of these devices but honestly, there's nothing that comes close to what they're like in reality. AWSOME
I LOVE mine and apart from anoying a few of the neighbours, who I wish to anoy as they are complete jerks, there have been no problems. I just smile from ear to ear when I here the Hemi really starts to ROAR at about 4 thousand revs [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Al.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Nicky B
Captain

I do I go about buying electric cut-outs. I know from where but it says either use Pay-Pal or COD but whats the difference between the 2.

Quick Reply: electric cut outs