3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Diagnostic Guide
Print Wikipost

transmission flush, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 PM
eatsleepdrivesc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: transmission flush, is it worth it?

hey guys the way i look at it is its probably worth it just to be safe its still cheaper than replacing the tranny or having it overhauled [sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=goodidea.gif][sm=smiley15.gif][sm=teetertooter.gif]

Old 05-26-2006, 01:11 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

I recently found out just how important getting the flush actually was.
My trans. went out at 52k so i took it in to be repaired under the powertrain warranty. They check it out and say no problem so i leave it. I get a call the next day and the service rep is saying that chrysler will not do the work under warranty unless i can produce a reciept for the trans flush that i was supposed to have done according to the service schedule. I had the flush done at another dealership so i told her to get in the glove box and find the reciept. She did and all was well.
Had i skipped the flush....i don't want to imagine the bill.
Suck it up and get er done.
My two cents.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:40 AM
MR YOON

i agree with this guy. get 12 quarts of that good shiot.. redline i prefer and flush that tranny.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:48 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Ce2flaco,

Good thing you had the receipt, but IIRC the tranny flush is only on the severe schedule, I'll have to double check.

You are also the first person that I've heard of that needed a new tranny. Did they say exactly what was wrong with it?

Old 05-26-2006, 11:48 PM
ce2flaco
Veteran

I didn't get a "new" trans. They rebuilt it from what i understand. I lost all the gears above second. It was driving fine but had been shifting a bit hard here and there and then all of a sudden i'm watching my tach climb way further than it should. I took side streets home and drove it to the dealership the next morning. They said it took 16 hours to complete.

As far as severe duty is concerned...yeah that applies.[sm=gears.gif] I bought this truck to have fun in it and i do. It's the best of both worlds. I can light up the 35" mud terrains on pavement and then go climb a huge rock covered hill. I love it.

Now i'm running into a new problem. My transfer case is leaking ever so slightly so i take the "fill" plug out to check the level and fluid gushes out. How does fluid literally pour out of the "fill" plug? A fairly knowledgable friend thinks it is the seal between the trans and the transfer case and that the trans fluid is flowing into the transfer case. It seems an odd coincidence that this starts after i get the truck back from trans. work.
Anyway, i'll be taking it back soon if i can't figure it out on my own.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:50 AM
mazz
Veteran

ORIGINAL: abarmby

ORIGINAL: mazz

There are two filters in the transmission. One is a sump filter the other a spin-on filter. The spin-on filter has a check valve, so it cannot be backflushed. Think about the process. They push fluid through the transmission in the opposite direction of its normal flow. They push dirt through the sump filter, don't do anything with the spin-on filter, and they leave all that sludge buildup in the pan. Aside from that, if the pressure of their system runs up a bit too high, there's a risk of shearing a seal within the transmission.

The local dealer wanted $195 for a flush. I asked them if they would drop the pan and change the filters. No, they would not do that. When I pushed the issue, they said it would cost me another $125 to $150. So, I did it myself and saved a bundle.

I just finished changing the fluid in my transmission a few weeks ago. Dropped the pan, changed the filters, and put all fresh fluid in. Also drained the torque converter. It's a messy process, but not that difficult.
How did you flush the converter?
Did you hire a machine or something?
I wish to do this to my 03 Hemi soon.
Any help on the flush would be and is appreciated.
Al.
To flush the converter, you first have to drop the pan, change the filters, replace the pan, and refill with fresh transmission fluid - about 5-1/2 quarts for a 2x4 or 6-1/2 quarts for a 4x4. (I used Amsoil ATF instead of the Chrysler ATF+4.) Once that is done, you disconnect the upper return line to the cooler and aim the hose into a pan, turn the engine on and the transmission pump will start to pump out the old fluid from the converter. At the same time, you add fresh fluid, at about the same rate. It's best to have a second person to help with this. Once the fluid color changes, or you've reached the capacity limit, turn the engine off, reconnect the fluid line, then let the transmission warm to operating temp and check the level, adding just enough to top it off.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Nappers
Professional

...... Think about the process. They push fluid through the transmission in the opposite direction of its normal flow. They push dirt through the sump filter, don't do anything with the spin-on filter, and they leave all that sludge buildup in the pan. Aside from that, if the pressure of their system runs up a bit too high, there's a risk of shearing a seal within the transmission.

The local dealer wanted $195 for a flush. I asked them if they would drop the pan and change the filters. No, they would not do that. When I pushed the issue, they said it would cost me another $125 to $150. So, I did it myself and saved a bundle.

I just finished changing the fluid in my transmission a few weeks ago. Dropped the pan, changed the filters, and put all fresh fluid in. Also drained the torque converter. It's a messy process, but not that difficult.
Exactly, they push grime backwards through the transmission which is very BAD, especially in the valve body. If you tow, drop the pan and change filter(s) every year, I do my GMC Yukon every year with up to 30,000 miles and haul a lot of kids and camping stuff to the coast and have not had any problems, it has 98,000+ miles on the clock. My Dodge Neon will get the same treatment as I drive a lot of miles hauling kids to sports.

There is a soft flush which involves removing hoses and what not, but have never done it. If you drop the pan every year, you should be okay in my opinion.

L8R
Aaron

Old 05-27-2006, 04:23 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Nappers

...... Think about the process. They push fluid through the transmission in the opposite direction of its normal flow. They push dirt through the sump filter, don't do anything with the spin-on filter, and they leave all that sludge buildup in the pan. Aside from that, if the pressure of their system runs up a bit too high, there's a risk of shearing a seal within the transmission.

Exactly, they push grime backwards through the transmission which is very BAD, especially in the valve body. If you tow, drop the pan and change filter(s) every year, I do my GMC Yukon every year with up to 30,000 miles and haul a lot of kids and camping stuff to the coast and have not had any problems, it has 98,000+ miles on the clock. My Dodge Neon will get the same treatment as I drive a lot of miles hauling kids to sports.

There is a soft flush which involves removing hoses and what not, but have never done it. If you drop the pan every year, you should be okay in my opinion.

L8R
Aaron
You know Aaron, I think your right.
The flow through the transmission is one way.
If a flush is to be done, then removal of all the filters and pan should be done, then flush it in the same direction as the flow through the tranmission when in use.
When the flow is nice and clear of debris and discolouration etc, stop, re-install the filters and pan and top off with fluid.
That way, all the debris etc, would not be pushed back into the transmission.
I have never seen a "flush" being done by the stealership. Is this how they do it????

Oh yes and Mazz......................I'd still like to know how you flushed your torque convertor. Did you use any pumps/machinery?

Al.

Old 05-27-2006, 05:19 PM
mazz
Veteran

ORIGINAL: abarmby

ORIGINAL: Nappers

L8R
Aaron
If a flush is to be done, then removal of all the filters and pan should be done, then flush it in the same direction as the flow through the tranmission when in use.
When the flow is nice and clear of debris and discolouration etc, stop, re-install the filters and pan and top off with fluid.
I have never seen a "flush" being done by the stealership. Is this how they do it????

Oh yes and Mazz......................I'd still like to know how you flushed your torque convertor. Did you use any pumps/machinery?

Al.

To flush the converter, you first have to drop the pan, change the filters, replace the pan, and refill with fresh transmission fluid - about 5-1/2 quarts for a 2x4 or 6-1/2 quarts for a 4x4. (I used Amsoil ATF instead of the Chrysler ATF+4.) Once that is done, you disconnect the upper return line to the cooler and aim the hose into a pan, turn the engine on and the transmission pump will start to pump out the old fluid from the converter. At the same time, you add fresh fluid, at about the same rate. It's best to have a second person to help with this. Once the fluid color changes, or you've reached the capacity limit, turn the engine off, reconnect the fluid line, then let the transmission warm to operating temp and check the level, adding just enough to top it off.

No special equipment, just let the transmission pump push the old stuff out as it draws new fluid in from the pan. Pretty straight forward.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:40 PM
T Man
Rookie

Al.
I know the dealer I spoke to said exactly that, the flush is done in the same direction as the normal flow.

Quick Reply: transmission flush, is it worth it?