3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Ram 1500 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 04:31 AM
arrowman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2004 Ram 1500 Overheating

My 03 with a 4.7 had the tow package and did just fine towing my 21 Proline from PA to SC and back repeatedly in the dead hot of the summer...
When was the last time you had the tranny flushed and filters replaced?

I'm thinking there has to be something wrong with your cooling system(s).... Perhaps even a bad fan clutch.

Ramman21 must be a salesman...Pop the hood on a base (non-tow-package) and one with one, the differences are easy to see.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 AM
ejrail
Question Ready to Sell It

I own a 2004 Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7L in it. It just turned 72K. I am at my wits end with the overheating problem. It will be fine for days and then the temp gauge will swing to the right far enough to cause the warning light to come on. Opening the window and turning the heater on High will get the needle just below 3/4 .

I work at a ski resort and it will overheat doing 50, downhill, into a blizzard with the outside temp at 20 degress. It will also so it in the 95+ summer temps I have at home.

In the last week, I had the radiator flushed, new coolant, new thermostat, new cap, and new clutch fan. I got it back from the shop last night. They assured me they couldn't get the needle to move above halfway in 90 degrees temps. $300+ later, I barely made it to work today again with the heat on full blast and the windows open in 40 degree temps!

I am a self proclaimed car guy for 40 years and this is my first Mopar. I also have a Shelby Mustang for show and go (auto cross & time trials). The verdict from the Shelby forums is to sell it. The guys claim this is a common problem with the 4.7 and there is no real solution.

HELP!!

Erik

Old 09-29-2009, 11:17 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by gpzjack
I love how people in here continuously insult the 4.7 I have towed with mine and it is fine. The only improvement would be a set of gears . I think they put too tall a rear in these things and that is the problem. You have to keep in mind that 10-15 years ago most trucks barely had 200 hp and they worked. You can keep your hemi's
I agree. Though I have a Hemi (and certainly will keep it), the horsepower on our trucks is most definitely not the limiting factor in what we can tow.

A buddy of mine used to pull a 6klb+ trailer with an old 180hp ford. ideal? no, but it worked just fine.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 AM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ejrail
In the last week, I had the radiator flushed, new coolant, new thermostat, new cap, and new clutch fan. I got it back from the shop last night. They assured me they couldn't get the needle to move above halfway in 90 degrees temps. $300+ later, I barely made it to work today again with the heat on full blast and the windows open in 40 degree temps!
Well this is a pretty old thread to bring back, so a new thread might be better to avoid confusion. Anyway have you checked the radiator for cool spots when the truck is up to temp? Is the top radiator hose getting hot, indicating the new t-stat is opening allowing hot coolant to the radiator? If the t-stat is functioning correctly I think the culprit would be a clogged radiator which would need to be replaced.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 AM
styrafoambrain

i have an 04 3.7L with the tow package, so yes.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ram 1500 Overheating