3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Y pipe replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:03 PM
fullsizeyj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Y pipe replacement

I was under my 05 Hemi QC 4x4 yesterday changing the oil. I noticed that where the two seperate exhaust pipes come together it seems to be extremely restrictive. Is there a replacement available, I doubt it? If there is not one available I guess I will have to go make one myself. The rest of the system seems acceptable, but that y is horrible. I plan on having the muffler replaced and keeping the resonator.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:11 PM
TheRedMonkey
Professional
Default RE: Hemi Y pipe replacement

Well dodge engineers the exhaust to be efficient but you can get a higher flow y pipe and cats and get rid of the resonator but doing true duels on the HEMI is a waste. You lose torque, there is a such thing as too much exhaust.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: fullsizeyj

I was under my 05 Hemi QC 4x4 yesterday changing the oil. I noticed that where the two seperate exhaust pipes come together it seems to be extremely restrictive. Is there a replacement available, I doubt it? If there is not one available I guess I will have to go make one myself. The rest of the system seems acceptable, but that y is horrible. I plan on having the muffler replaced and keeping the resonator.
Yes your stock "Y" pipe is a poor design and was not chosen for performance rather for its cheap cost to produce. Replace it with a high flow "Y" pipe and your well on your way to a better flowing exhaust.

On the muffler... just remove your muffler and KEEP your resonator right where its at and call it your new "MUFFLER". You will get a more agressive sound with much more performance than removing your resonator and replacing your muff... not to mention it would cost a fraction of the price... its almost FREE HP!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 PM
fullsizeyj

I am not looking at going duals. I know that Dodge engineered the thing but cost is ALWAYS a factor in production. You can go from 2.5" pipe and neck down almost 50% and expect that to be effecient. I dont want to swap cats and all that. I have thought about deleting the muffler and running just the resonator.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 PM
ibanezta
Rookie

ORIGINAL: TheRedMonkey

Well dodge engineers the exhaust to be efficient but you can get a higher flow y pipe and cats and get rid of the resonator but doing true duels on the HEMI is a waste. You lose torque, there is a such thing as too much exhaust.

true duals will only lose hp or torque if you have no balance pipe. if you put an h or x-pipe in the system to balance the exhaust you will see more hp and torque. for pipe size, there's a general rule of thumb. 2 2.5 inch or 1 3 inch are usually good up to 500 hp. over 500, 2 3 inch, or 1 3.5 inch. not sure how high those sizes are good for though. you have to make sure it is manderel bent though as well. there's a reason that mustang owners never do a single exhaust setup, and camaro owners switch to a dual with the balance pipe. it does work. the cheaper route on our trucks is just doing a high flow y-pipe and a cat-back. unless you know how to fabricate and weld. then just do it all yourself.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:53 AM
stickshiftsrule

I'm assuming your Y-pipe looks like mine did........

You could try what I did if you want to save some money. Not saying it's better that a new Y-pipe or not, just saying I got some nice gains from it.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:45 AM
fullsizeyj

That bend does not concern me at all. Look at the two pipes and how they merge together. They are squeezed down to at least 40% of their regular capacity. Opening those up would help a ton.

I found one for $150 It seems a little much for me. I may go to the wrecking yard and get a used one. Duplicate it with new pipe and install it myself.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:12 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: fullsizeyj

That bend does not concern me at all. Look at the two pipes and how they merge together. They are squeezed down to at least 40% of their regular capacity. Opening those up would help a ton.

I sSeems a little much for me. I may go to the wrecking yard and get a used one. Duplicate it with new pipe and install it myself.
It looks like the more restrictive peice of your "Y" pipe is still there, The bend is NOT the restriction although Im sure it did not hurt to replace it you need to have the "Y" portion replaced... if you crawl under your truck and look at it both peices are CRIMPPED together and this is where the restriction is....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 06-01-2006, 02:17 PM
fullsizeyj

Here is a comparison pic. Still does not show exactly how restrictive it really is.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:08 PM
TheBlueBlur
Rookie

this is the only replacement y pipe i have found so far, have yet to purchase it. its from jba, but still kinda expensive. below i the cheapest price i have found.

http://www.premiertruckaccessories.com/jbaypipe.html

Quick Reply: Hemi Y pipe replacement