3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Lamp Out" on dash....

Old 06-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Klute
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Lamp Out" on dash....

Well, this started happening last week while stuck in stop-and-go(slow) driving on the highway.

The light would come on and then go off. It appeared to happen everytime I let up on the brake...but not everytime. It would stay on for a couple of minutes and then off until I braked again...

It did it several times that night on my commute. when I got home, I inspected the lights (blinkers, flashers, brakes headlights) and all of them were working.

Any ideas???

Old 06-22-2006, 07:54 PM
NYPANAMA
Rookie
Default RE: "Lamp Out" on dash....

Maybe a short, or a fuse-Never heard of that happening before. Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:59 PM
dodgediva

Hubby had it on his truck. It's the circuit board in the tail light. Pull the tail light off (2 torque bit screws) and unplug the plugs from the circuit board and take it off (3 phillips head screws) and go get another one from the dealer. It's about $20. Hope this helps.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:00 AM
abarmby
Champion

As dodgediva says it could be the circuit board, in particular the way in which the lamps are held in place in the bulb fitting.
Sometimes, the bulbs through vibration wiggle loose in the bulb holder.
Try using a little silicone sealer between the bulb and the bulb housing.
This will stop the bulb shaking loose causing the intermittant connection.
Cheaper than $20........................
My 2p.
Al.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:43 PM
frogslinger
Captain

hate this kind of stuff... was working on a truck yesterday (not a ram) and the turn signals on the trailer hookup were jacked... left turn fine, hazards fine, right turn consttant power... trucks lights flash real slow...

So, check the relay... switch right and left trailer relays... no effect, check flasher... works fine. check for shorts in the pig tail... nope.

Go talk to the manager and he suggests checking turn signal bulbs on the truck. Rear lights are LED and work fine... front ligt is not flashing... pull the lense and get ready to replace the bulb. Look at the filaments and they are both fine... pull the bulb out and check power to the socket... none.

So I am like we got a fuse blownb or a short... I put the bulb back in so I will have a visual indicator and so i do not drop and or loose it, and it starts operating normally.... no amount of jiggling twisting et al would get it to screw up...

Trailer wiring worked fine.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:53 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

I have had the EXACT same problem. It is always the same brake lamp in the rear on the passenger side. The lamp is good but the connection point where it sits in the slot allows it to vibrate and over time the heat build up of a loose connection destroys the contact point. I'm trying electrical grease next time.
ORIGINAL: Klute

Well, this started happening last week while stuck in stop-and-go(slow) driving on the highway.

The light would come on and then go off. It appeared to happen everytime I let up on the brake...but not everytime. It would stay on for a couple of minutes and then off until I braked again...

It did it several times that night on my commute. when I got home, I inspected the lights (blinkers, flashers, brakes headlights) and all of them were working.

Any ideas???

Old 07-26-2006, 01:40 PM
dodgediva

Hmmmmmmmmmm Could be the circuit board.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:34 PM
romic00
Rookie

I had the same thing too. All i had to do is change the brake bulb.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:15 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

With all the vibration in the rear tailight lense housing, they can jiggle loose and cause the symptoms mentioned. IF you do a search, you'll see that it is very common here at DF.

The fix is to take out the bulbs, clean the socket, and make sure you add a dab of dielectric grease to the end of the bulb. Most just change out the bulbs since they have everything apart anyhow.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

The lamp light out indicator is triggered by a voltage change and not necessarily a bulb being out. You can have a bulb starting to go out and it will indicate a voltage change. Walk aroung the truck at night with the lights on and see if one is brighter or dimmer than the others. Other than that, sometimes you have to hit and miss or just wait until it goes all the way out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Lamp Out" on dash....