3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy with some questions . . .?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:18 PM
TBIRD911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with some questions . . .?

Hi Guys,

I have spent alot of time searching and reading these forums and the amount of information and advice is amazing. That being said, I'm having a hard time putting it all together. I have a 2004 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4.7l with 5 speed manual transmission. I also have a few questions:
  • Is there a programmer available for my truck ?
  • Would a programmer make any difference on a 5spd manual?
  • My truck is a 2004 manual transmission, is it limited by Dodge (you guys call it TM) ?
  • Any mods for a 5spd manual that will make a real difference in performance and MPG?
  • Best bang for buck in CAI and nerf bars?

Thanks so much for the help . . .

Tbird

Old 06-25-2006, 03:24 AM
kvsmith2004
Veteran
Default RE: New guy with some questions . . .?

Hello, welcome. As far as I know there is not a programmer for the 4.7, only some chips. If anyone else know otherwise plese let me know. Don't really know how it owuld work for an manual tranny, sorry. As far as a preformance mod i would have to say an intake and exaust. I have a 04 1500 QB with a 4.7 I have a K&N intake and a flowmaster exaust system, as far as HP goes cant really feel much more but both did help my mpg plus 1 to 1.5 mpg.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

i think they made programmers and chips for the 02-03 4.7s but from 04-present they dont make any chips or programmers for the 4.7 (as far as i know because i havent had any luck finding any) and even from the year models that they did make it for i have heard conflicting reports on whether or not it worked worth a darn. best things to start off doing to your truck would be exhaust. doesnt have to be an expensive 1000 dollar setup like some ppl ive seen just something simple like some flowmasters to free up some power and get a little better airflow believe me you can feel a big difference once your truck is breathing better. theres tons of good CAIs around for various prices. Fram has a new kit i believe, K&N has several different choices, thers volant, airaid, green, and problly some others im forgetting. for nerf bars, pretty much everyone i see has Westin nerf bars. they make several different styles (such as reg cab, quad cab, and the kind that extend behind the cab to the bed) and in a polished chrome and a matte black finish. not sure on prices mine were already on the truck when it was bought but i think my dads cost him like 150-200 for each step bar (chrome plated quad cab design) but i could be way off i dont know.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:30 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Welcome to the forum!

To answer your questions...AFAIK, there is no programmer for your truck. It would make a difference because it would remap your fuel and torque curves to provide you more power. Your truck is not limited by toque management. This is on the auto trannies and is programmed into the truck's computer. Many claim better MPG with a CAI and cat back exhaust kit. YMMV. I suggest you check out AIRRAM intakes and our vendors for your bars or other CAI other than AIRRAM's intakes (he has his own site).

Hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, feel free to ask.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:50 AM
TBIRD911

You guys have been great. Thanks for all of the good info . . . I will surely hit up the exhaust and intake. I had also pretty much decided on Westin for the Nerfs-- thanks again all.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:10 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Westin makes some very nice and extremely durable nerf bars. Good choice.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:55 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Tbird911,

I wish they had mods for the 4.7 that is why I went to a CTD 2500, as my old 2005 4.7L did not have enough power to pull a camp trailer that I wanted.

The best place I found for Nerf bars is http://store.trexmotorsports.com/ Nasta makes a great nerf bar that I put on my 2500 and it comes with SS hangers. If you live in or drive in a state that salts the roads in the winter then Nasta with its SS hangers is the best one to have. I have seen many Westin Nerf bars and did not like what they looked like when they were a few years old.

Have fun moding your Ram.

Charles

Quick Reply: New guy with some questions . . .?