3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

An exhaust that is not too loud...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 02:23 AM
claytonfranke
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An exhaust that is not too loud...?

I am looking to put aftermarket exhaust on my 4.7 L QC Ram; however i do not want it to be very loud. I want it single in dual out. I know how loud flowmaster 30 series are but what about the 40, 50, 60? Can i put these on my truck and it not be too loud? Does magnaflow or borla make a nice sounding exhaust that will just give me the deep throated sound that is not too loud? I dont mind the loudness when i really get on the throttle but I dont want interior resonance to be loud. I have been wondering about this for a while and i finally have the time and money to do it. Any suggestions?

Old 06-30-2006, 03:27 AM
berg501
Default RE: An exhaust that is not too loud...?

I have had good luck with 3 chamber Flow-Masters myself. You get a nice rumble at idle and a nice low rumble in the interior that is not intrusive at all. I'll be doing the same to my '06 Hemi very soon. I used dual 3 chambers on my '95 Impala SS and it was the perfect thing to do. Awesome sound and helped performance too. I also use a 3 chamber on my '97 GMC Sierra.

My vote would be for the 3 chamber Flow-Master. I don't know what series that would be.

Mike

Old 06-30-2006, 12:07 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gibson is tame by aftermarket standards.

Or just remove your resinator and keep the rest of the exhaust stock.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:10 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

keep it old school. A 12" glass pack after a few months of burn-in time will be comparable to a 40 series. I don't think it's too loud but my wife does. We both agree at 70 mph there is too much interior noise especially if there is a load on the truck. My Avalanche ran 18" glass packs and I think that sound was perfect after about 2 months of burn in time - just a nice grumble but not too much. My wife liked the sound too. 24" glass packs will give you a slight rumble and more growl when you get on the throttle but basically stay quiet. In any case, duals can be fabbed by you local muffler shop and your billfold will appreciate the savings.
BTW, a 12" REALLY accentuates the Dodge "fart" - when your floored passing someone and it shifs from passing gear to drive gear. It's almost funny. I used the stock exhaust set-up and replaced the stock muffler with a 12" glasspack and had them straighten the exhaust as much as possible. Not really any performance gains but as my wife says, "the truck sounds meaner than what it really is". Hopefully after the 4:56 swap, it will have more bite with it's bark.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:21 PM
prerunner
Captain

50 series Flows. Had the 40 on my 04 4.7, and it was loud!!!! Put the 50 on my 06 Hemi....nice small rumble, loud when i flr it.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:10 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I really like my borla system, when your just cruising around or stopped you cant even hear it but as soon as you get on it you hear a nice deep throaty rumble, and there is very very little interior drone noise too, I can only hear the drone when I get over 2000rpms (65-70mph) but even then its not that over powering. You can still have a conversation in the cab or listen a cd or talk on the phone. Plus the Cat Back system I got raised my mileage fom 14.5 city - 16.1 city, and you can feel a difference in the power too. The only downside with the Borlas are that they are alot more expencive than the flowmasters but hey if you want noise go with the flowmasters but if you pay a more for higher quality and performance go with the borlas.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:01 PM
m3 bavaria

Where did you get your Borla system? Do they also make headers for the Hemi?

Old 06-30-2006, 07:15 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I ordered mine from the dealer since they are considered as a mopar part they can get them in faster and it was actually cheaper there than anywhere else around here to get them in and installed, it was $750+/- out the door after taxes and installed. As for the headers I know they make high performance headers for dragsters so I think they would but check out thier site http://www.borla.com/default.aspx and see if they make um for your model.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:55 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran

if you do not want loud then stay away from the 40 series. 60 series is for 4 cylinder and v-6 cars. Either go with the flowmaster 50 or a Borla. Borla is not as loud but it is more expensive. I went with the flowmaster super 40, but I wanted loud. Good luck with your search.

Quick Reply: An exhaust that is not too loud...?