3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can someone explain to me wtf is up with my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:38 PM
shadowzform
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone explain to me wtf is up with my tranny

I got an 05 qc ram, the year that they were suposed to have fixed all the problems and I've never had this problem before but recently. Everytime when I have to give it hard acceleration (that means not just full-throttle, it can be like 3/4 throttle) when it shifts from first to second it makes a weird noise. Okay for instance I'm used to my truck always shifting perfectly, but now its getting to where under hard throttle the engine sound will stop for a millisecond, start again like its revving high, then shift into lower rpm. First time this happened it sounded like a "wwuuuaaahhhh---woo--woo--wuuaaaahhh" instead of the perfect (wuuuaaahh-wuuuaaahh) that im used to. Now, when trying to hurry and get out in front of rushing traffic from a gas station today, i give it full throttle, not only just to accelerate but also to show off cus there were a few cocky people there who thought their trucks were fast... well it was embarrassing cus this time when it shifted, not only did the engine stop, get louder (like it went over 6000 rpm for a millisecond), and then shift, not only that, i heard a fast click-click somewhere between the shift, like you're clicking your tongue off the roof of your mouth. needless to say both times this happened, i let off the gas real quick out of fear so i dont have any info on 2-3rd shifts. WTF is up? i mean i cant go to the dealership and explain that to them, unless i use the excuse (both times i was trying to pass someone on the highway). You know, i hope it aint one of those things that they can't do nothing about until the tranny completely blows first, then get it replaced... grr!!

oh yea and on another note, both times the sound would be really loud and it sounded like it came from outside, underneath my truck.. so i know its my tranny or something under there

edit: here's the link showing the first time it happened to me, the less scary time...

click here to see it (you must turn your sound up all the way up to hear it cus my microphone on my cameraphone sucks)

it doesn't sound so serious but the extra sound in between the shift came from under my truck, i had my window rolled down and it came from outside my truck. It was actually louder than what it appears to be on the video.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Hemi_Chris
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: can someone explain to me wtf is up with my tranny

Take it in and ask if you can show the technician the problem by having them go with you on a test drive. Go to an onramp and warn the guy you're gonna floor it (do this safely!) then just do it. He'll probably go, "Hmmm..."

They should be able to fix it.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: can someone explain to me wtf is up with my tranny

Actually, It sounds like you have a valve or solenoid sticking. I would get a good sound recorder, and tape the sound your hearing. Then----take it in the the tech and give him a ride---heck, let him drive it!!!!! After he gets a good "feel" for the truck, play the tape for him.

Quick Reply: can someone explain to me wtf is up with my tranny