3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Racing Oil Filter vs Standard Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 07:09 PM
LoFlyer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Oil Filter vs Standard Filter

As I understand it, a standard oil filter is tested at 3 GPM flow rate and has a 8-12 psi backpressure bypass. This means that your oil filter is bypassed any time you are doing anything other than idling or low powered cruising. A standard filter does provide good filtration so when it's filtering it does a great job.
A racing filter is tested at >10 GPM and while it has a 12 psi bypass that backpressure is almost never reached for street applications. The filter media is more porous than a standard filter.
So the question is, do you want great filtration some of the time or good filtration all of the time? Am I right about that?
Pls let me know if I'm missing something here, I've been researching this but there is very little info on racing filters as the makers of these filters say they are for racing applications only and will not be responsible for any damage to your engine as a result of using them in your street truck.
Also, anyone know what the oil pump GPM is? I know the oil press range is 25-110 at 3000 rpm but haven't been able to find out what that translates to in GPM. I've heard 4-6 GPM but sources are unreliable. If these numbers are true though, I'm cycling my entire oil supply through the system 3-5 times per minute and I don't like the thought that all of this is unfiltered.
Will the longer racing filters (Fram HP1 size) fit on a Hemi? It's about twice as long as my recommended pipsqueek filter.
Above info in my best guess based on my research, I may be way off and am looking for some tech info to set me straight.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:21 PM
raidermike67
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Racing Oil Filter vs Standard Filter

Amzoil has a bypass filtering system that is constantly refiltering your oil, I think it takes about 10% of your engines oil at a time and filters it down to like 1 micron and basically refilters all your oil every so many minutes of usage. This works in conjunction, not in place of, your normal oil filtering system. They claim 25K between oil changes with their system of oil and filters. FWIW.

Quick Reply: Racing Oil Filter vs Standard Filter