3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hello new owner and a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Bozz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello new owner and a problem...

Hi,

Just purchased a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins and brought it into the dealer to check a vibration out. The vibration starts to occur about 65 mph and gets increasingly worse as I speed up. I don't feel it in the steering wheel. I is like a low hum and vibe thru the vehicle seeming to come from the rear.
The dealer says that Chrysler is aware of the issue and is working on a solution......but they have no idea???? Any experience or solutions here?

Old 07-07-2006, 06:40 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts
Default RE: Hello new owner and a problem...

I've been told (but no verification) that depending on the transmission, the cummins was too powerful (is there such a thing?) and would damage the transmission. But again, no verification.

My idea would be something in the tailshaft of the transmission or maybe the pinion bearing.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drive shaft is out of ballance. . .DC may be working on the issue, but your money and time will be better spent at a drive line shop.

have them yank the drive shaft(s) out and reballance them.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: magnethead

I've been told (but no verification) that depending on the transmission, the cummins was too powerful (is there such a thing?) and would damage the transmission. But again, no verification.

My idea would be something in the tailshaft of the transmission or maybe the pinion bearing.

the 48RE lives a good life behind the cummins, only when you throw on power adders does the tranny start to have issues. in stock form it will last, but as soon as you start pileing on the power it will break. a stock 48RE will handle 350-375 day in day out. but it doesnt like much over 400hp without a valve body and line pressure mod, over 450 is time to look for billet shafts.

now, in the first production runs of the 48RE there was a snafu dealing with a thrust brearing not getting enough oil and frying, but that issue was quickly resolved by swapping out a washer with a lubrication hole drilled in it.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:41 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

ORIGINAL: Drew

drive shaft is out of ballance. . .DC may be working on the issue, but your money and time will be better spent at a drive line shop.

have them yank the drive shaft(s) out and reballance them.

X2. Cheap fix if it works. Havent blown a wad of money if it doesnt. I'm taking mine in to have it balanced next week. $50....

Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

you would think DC of all people would balacne the driveshaft before putting it on the truck...?

Old 07-07-2006, 11:42 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

all it takes is a solid bump or hammering down on a large load. the truck is a 2004.

then again the drive shaft could be perfect, who knows. When you have to throw money at something to try a get it fixed, you start with the least amout possible and go up from there.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Bozz

Got the truck from the dealer and made a beeline down the the driveline shop. They had a little time and pulled the driveline. Found it a little out of balanced so they rebalanced it. They did say that there seems to be a harmonic in the driveline though. I asked if there was a solution to it and they said no. They did say the vibration should be greatly reduced or minimal now but I may notice a harmonic and it looks like DC has done a couple things to minimize it. First they put some foam someplace...can't remember where he said and second was a huge harmonic balancer up front on the engine. He did indicate that is looks like an engineering flaw that causes the harmonic. Anyway, I guess I have to live with it now. I haven't taken it out on the freeway yet to see how good or bad it really is...hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance. Thanks for all the quick feedback.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:43 AM
Bozz

Well, could not wait until tomorrow. Not any better after having the driveline rebalanced. Noise and vibration starts at 65 and gets progressively worse. I did find a similar thread in the diesel cummins section of this forum. This pretty much describes my symptoms currently. Going to go have a chat with the dealer tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Hello new owner and a problem...