3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'02 DODGE TRANS PROBLEMS, POSSIBLY?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:36 AM
BOES383
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UPDATE!!!TRANS PROBLEMS, POSSIBLY?!?!

I would get my copy of the service contract and see for myself what it says about paying a deductible two times for a problem. Since the transmission mount was not broken, they are just "changing out parts" and seems they don't really know what the problem is. Also, since the problem was not cured by changing out the "bad" part, which really turned out to be good, they shouldn't even charge for it, or at the very least, they should waive the deductible for the second operation.

Read your contract, call the company that issued it, find out for yourself what's going on. Unfortunately, there are many dealers out there that don't have a clue how to fix anything, I would press them on the part that they have already changed not being bad.

You didn't say if you had a limited slip differential, but the problem you describe seems to fit the symptom of slipping clutches in the unit. What the heck is this business about "if they find no breakage its not going to be covered?" Does that mean if they tear into the rear end and don't find a problem that it won't be covered? This is just not sounding right, I would run from those people, find another dealer or perhaps a good private repair shop, I don't like what I'm hearing about these people and believe me, I've had my experiences with a few dealers. What are they going to do, keep tearing things apart until they find the right thing, charging you $100.00 each time? As I have said, something stinks here and if I were in your place I would change dealers instead of trying to deodorize the one you have, more especially if you are going to have to pay the deductible a second time.

Are they a 5-star dealer? Report them to Dodge. Don't take this sitting down

They are a five star dealer. The biggest in Southern Indiana.
Regarding "Not finding a breakage" they are saying that there is an amount of wear thats acceptable for the ring and pinion. And if they find it within those limits, it's all on me: the diagnosis (they want $180 to tear into it), gear oil sealer. IF they find it to be beyond the MAGIC number, i pay my deductable for the second time and they fix it (assuming the service contract will ok it.)

As far as finding another dealer, I can't find one that will accept this service contract. (they all say that it's not easy to get them to pay.)

What coulld Dodge do?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:07 AM
Palm
Professional

BOES383 Wrote:

What coulld Dodge do?
If the dealer replaced a perfectly good part, as you have said, and the problem persists, they should not charge you for it, or, at the very least, they should waive the deductible on the next venture. From what you are saying, it sounds like these people don't have a clue as to what your trouble is. Pursuant to the above, I would report them to Dodge, believe me, this is the one way you can leverage them as they hate to get complaints filed against them. That's how they got those 5 stars, they are supposed to be among the best of dealers.

Unfortunately, I have found that the stars mean little to nothing when it comes to expertise working on your vehicle. Its beginning to look like the largest dealers are the ones to suspect. I just had my differential serviced by the largest dealer in Florida, and I got the run-around, and as far as I'm concerned, the rip-off of the year. Its a long story that started long before this particular dealer, but with all their size and 5-stars, they are as bad as the rest. I'm in the process of dealing with Dodge about my problem now, and I suggest that you hint to these people that you may do the same. What did the service manager say about the changing of the perfectly good part? He did see it didn't he?

It also sounds like you have a fairly worthless service contract if they are the only dealer that cares to honor it. It also sounds like they are setting you up to empty your billfold for a new differential. Pardon me if I seem a little skeptical about these people, but I am getting it honest as I have been screwed by 3 different dealers myself. Judging from what you are telling me, I don't see much chance that you are not going to end up paying for this problem, what would concern me, is the fact that they don't seem to know what they are doing. Do you know if your truck has an LSD rear end?

Old 07-27-2006, 12:00 PM
BOES383

If the dealer replaced a perfectly good part, as you have said, and the problem persists, they should not charge you for it, or, at the very least, they should waive the deductible on the next venture. From what you are saying, it sounds like these people don't have a clue as to what your trouble is. Pursuant to the above, I would report them to Dodge, believe me, this is the one way you can leverage them as they hate to get complaints filed against them. That's how they got those 5 stars, they are supposed to be among the best of dealers.

Unfortunately, I have found that the stars mean little to nothing when it comes to expertise working on your vehicle. Its beginning to look like the largest dealers are the ones to suspect. I just had my differential serviced by the largest dealer in Florida, and I got the run-around, and as far as I'm concerned, the rip-off of the year. Its a long story that started long before this particular dealer, but with all their size and 5-stars, they are as bad as the rest. I'm in the process of dealing with Dodge about my problem now, and I suggest that you hint to these people that you may do the same. What did the service manager say about the changing of the perfectly good part? He did see it didn't he?

It also sounds like you have a fairly worthless service contract if they are the only dealer that cares to honor it. It also sounds like they are setting you up to empty your billfold for a new differential. Pardon me if I seem a little skeptical about these people, but I am getting it honest as I have been screwed by 3 different dealers myself. Judging from what you are telling me, I don't see much chance that you are not going to end up paying for this problem, what would concern me, is the fact that they don't seem to know what they are doing. Do you know if your truck has an LSD rear end?
The dealership called me yesterday to say that they are refunding my deductible.
As much as i appreciate that, i'm still expecting the worse next Monday.
They are still saying that there are wear tolerences for the rear diff. and if the backlash falls within those tolerences, it's on me.

Does anyone know what Dodge consideres too much wear/backlash in the rear diff? I'd like to be armed with that info when i take the truck back.

I do not have the LSD. One-wheel-peel for me :-(

Unfortunately, I can't find another dealer to honor this contract. I'm at the mercy of the dealership that doesn't have a clue.

One thing i can say for sure, I doubt if the service manger would have taken me to look for the part they replaced if HE knowingly let them replace it. He really was shocked to see it in one piece and in perfect condition.

I'm sure i'm not phrasing the wear tolerence thing right, but if someone could give me a shout about what Dodge would consider not within specs.

Thanx

Quick Reply: '02 DODGE TRANS PROBLEMS, POSSIBLY?!?!