3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squeaky spirngs - 2002 Quad Long Bed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:49 PM
AlexInPA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky spirngs - 2002 Quad Long Bed

Around 75,000, I noticed the ride was getting a little rough on the bumps. I took the truck to the dealer and asked if the shocks needed to be replaced yet (originals). They said they were fine.

This cycle was repeated over the next year or so until at 102,000 miles, I took the truck to a Monro shop and told them to pull the shocks. They had no lift left in them.

Shortly after the shocks were replaced, I started to notice a squeaking in the rear on bumps or rocking the truck. It will even do it just getting in and out of the truck. It seems to be in the rear springs.

Any suggestions? Dodge won't just let me run by the shop to have them take a look at it without scheduling an appointment and leaving it. New springs run around $750 installed. Suggestions on better springs would be good too... I don't know much about mechanics as I am an IT consultant...

2002 RAM 1500, Quad Cab, Long Bed, 4WD with truck cap.

Alex

Old 07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Squeaky spirngs - 2002 Quad Long Bed

Yes that is very possible. Often plastic shims are placed at the end of the leaves to stop this. The rear diff would have to be dropped and the spring pack split to add the shims. If you opt to do this, you better get all new u-bolts too, just in case you shear one off. You can always take them back if you don't need'em

You might try spraying them with some rust busting oil to start and see if that helps, then spray with some white litium grease. It won't solve the real problem, but it will let you know exactly what is going on, and give some temp relief

Old 07-24-2006, 09:46 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squeaky spirngs - 2002 Quad Long Bed

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

Yes that is very possible. Often plastic shims are placed at the end of the leaves to stop this. The rear diff would have to be dropped and the spring pack split to add the shims. If you opt to do this, you better get all new u-bolts too, just in case you shear one off. You can always take them back if you don't need'em

You might try spraying them with some rust busting oil to start and see if that helps, then spray with some white litium grease. It won't solve the real problem, but it will let you know exactly what is going on, and give some temp relief
Exactly what I was going to recommend! If you find they need a little grease, you can just try to get some heavy lithium grease in a spray can and try to force it between the leaves. Be forewarned that this will attract a lot of dirt if you don't wipe off the excess.

Quick Reply: Squeaky spirngs - 2002 Quad Long Bed