3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'03 ram wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:53 AM
rkellenberger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 ram wheel bearing replacement

i need to replace the front wheel bearing on my 03 4.7l any info on how to/tricks to do this? btw truck is 4x4 reg cab. thanks

Old 07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: '03 ram wheel bearing replacement

Info coming from the 2003 Ram service manual.
As far as specific tips.. I can't give you any (accept to take your time and be careful), never done a wheel hub/bearing before (but if the ones on my Dakota go, I will!).
Them things' arn't cheep ($360-ish from Napa).
Let us know how it comes out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/48F4F8405CC74B2A80BC609E9177C8DE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-25-2006, 03:40 PM
rkellenberger

thanks a lot! that really helps me out. just one question...is "special tool 8677" a regular ball joint separator/ fork? youre not kidding about price either! cost me 260-something from the dealer....the only person in town to stock or be able to order such a part! oh well, here goes nothing p.s. where can i purchase that shop manual?

Old 07-25-2006, 03:48 PM
mckibbenmd

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/

Old 07-25-2006, 04:06 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mckibbenmd

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/
^^ Good point.
Go there, and on the side, where it says, "03 Ram Manual - Russ" right click and "Save target as..." Its 83MB (PDF) but, its the whole factory service manual for your Ram.
Enjoy it... WELL WORTH the download.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:50 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I'm going to have to download the manual just to see why they have you take the steering knuckle out [&:] You should be able to change the hub unit without doing that. [:'(]

Old 07-26-2006, 03:30 PM
rkellenberger

you have to take the steering knuckle out b/c the three bolts holding the hub unit on are inaccessible with it on. The c/v shaft is in the way of getting any tool onto those nuts. trust me. i cannot say for a straight axle how its done. i've still not been able to get those ball joints off without tearing up the boots with a pickle fork. i've found "special tool 8677" from the matco tools man but its $200. going to uniontown PA tomorrow from silver spring MD, i know a good mechanic up there. i got a quote on having a shop i trust put it on in wilmington before i left, and it was the part+markup+one hour labor. since i have the part, i think it wont hurt me too bad to get it put on. thanks for yalls help, that manual is amazing

Old 07-27-2006, 03:32 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Oh, I've already done it on a straight axle. I know how it's done

But I just did a 3/4 ton Silverado 3 weeks ago...and sadly the 3/4 ton Silverados have independant front suspension. I was however able to access the hub to knuckle bolts (I believe there were 4) by turning the wheel all the way one way and pulling off 2...and then all the way the other way and pulling off the other two. Didn't have to touch (figuratively) the knuckle at all. After that I pushed the axle shaft back through the hub, and wrapped on it with a mallet a few times and it fell right off.

Maybe the silverado design is different, although from the pictures posted in the image above it looks very very similar, if not the same. I can't believe that you wouldn't be able to get something on them....not even an open end wrench? [&:]

Quick Reply: '03 ram wheel bearing replacement