3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can someone in here help me please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone in here help me please?

I know this is the Ram section, but NO one in the Dakota section ever answers.

Ok, I got lowering shackles and nothing is workin. I was told to use a 55mm torx socket wrench to remove stock ones, and there is NO WAY IN HELL I can fit that socket in there. Right now I am riding on one side of the truck having the top bolt all the way in, and the bottom bolt halfway out, I have tried for the life of me to get that bottom bolt at least back in, but I can't do that. The bolt is halfway up the hole that it is supposed to be in. Is there anyone that can give info on how to either finish this task, or at least get it so that bolt realigns with the hole it is supposed to be in?

Thanks a MILLION!!!!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Sam!
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can someone in here help me please?

CHeck and see if this is how you are doing it

PLEASE READ all instructions all the way through BEFORE YOU START!

Safety First! Before you undertake any suspension modifications, remember that such mods may change your vehicle's handling characteristics and stability. Raising your vehicle's center of gravity with extended shackles, lifted springs, etc., may increase the likelihood of a rollover, especially at high speed or on uneven terrain.

TOOLS NEEDED: Do not use air-impact tools for this installation! You'll need floor jack, jack stands, wheel chocks,) wrenches, rubber mallet.

1. Park your truck on a hard, flat surface and apply the parking brake. Chock both sides of rear tires if you're working on the front or chock front tires if you're working on the rear.

Be sure truck can't roll.

2. Use floor jack under the axle to lift working end until both tires are 3-to-4 inches off the floor. It is not necessary to remove wheels and tires. Place jack stands under frame rails just behind spring hangers nearest truck's cab. Lower truck onto jack stands, but leave floor jack under axle--you'll use it to raise and lower axle during shackle installation.

Make sure jack stands hold truck securely.

3. Be sure axle is again supported by floor jack. Ubolt and remove old shackle bolts and shackles. Slowly release floor jack pressure until tires rest on floor or work surface.

4. Inspect shackle mounting places--including perches, frame mounts and bushings--for excessive wear or damage. Damaged or worn parts must be replaced with new ones or repaired to as-new condition before shackles are installed.

5. Install shackles into upper mounts--nut can be outboard or inboard. Apply nuts, but do not tighten all the way yet. NOTE: On front shackles, the bends are not in the middle of the shackles. Bends are offset to maximize frame clearance for extreme flex. Mount front shackles with the long ends in the frame.

6. Use floor jack to raise axle until spring eyes and bushings fit into shackles. Insert bolts. You may want to apply grease to bolts to ease installation and reduce squeaking from poly bushings. Do not grease bolts for rubber bushings. You may need to tap bolts with a rubber mallet during installation. But do not force a bolt if it catches or there is excessive resistance. Use floor jack to realign holes correctly. Excessive hammering can ruin bushings and deform shackles.

7. Tighten nuts. However, do not overtighten nuts until bushings bulge or shackles bend. Overtightening can "freeze" your suspension and prevent it from cycling properly.

8. Recheck all bolts for proper tightness. Now you're done. Happy 'wheeling and thanks

Old 08-03-2006, 11:15 AM
dacaur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea leaf springs can be a pain, the above post is right, make sure you have jackstands under the frame, then use the floor jack to slowly raise or lower the axle till you can get the bolt out, if there is any weight on the suspension it wont come out, and if is hanging unsupported it wont come out... I did this on a cherokee twice... once you get it to just the right height it comes out pretty easy..(the bolt) Start with the axle hanging loose, and slowly raise it up while trying to wiggle the bolt....

Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So in theory, I have nothing to worry about while driving to the shop today? It's less than 2 miles. I'm jst gonna take it easy.