3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How is your truck doing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How is your truck doing?

Hey, I never thought I could love a truck, I'm not thier yet, But The bond is getting closser each time I wash my new ride.
Just over 2000 KM on my 06 2500 Ram, a lot of the little issues I did not like with the Dodge Ram are still buging me a wee bit, but the power in the 5.7 hemi is awsome.

The six speed manual still is noisey on ocassion, fist oil change Im' changing out the trans Fluid, I still don't like the OEM radio, but I decided I can live with it, othier wise I'm most impressed with My new Dodge Ram 2500 SLT reg Cab 4x4, it's scary the amount High way speed this truck has, at 140 KM ( 85 MPH ) thiers over 1/2 pedal left and the engine is just hitting 2500 RPM, I'm a little scard to go above that..

Milage is average For a truck, I'm lucky to get 16 to 17 MPG on the highway at a 100 Km PH, Considering this is a 3/4 ton hauling and towing five days a week, I'm impressed.

First Payment is in the books now, more than I'm willing to count are a head of me, I'm making a offering to the Chrysler Gods and promissing not to treat this truck to stop light to stop light drag racing, It's not good at that due to the gears in the transmission, But I remind my self, I'm driving a 3/4 ton, I need this truck to earn my pay check.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:53 AM
arrowman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How is your truck doing?

Just rolled 3000 miles this weekend on my 06, and I'm still in love!
My only gripe is minor... and it's actually the same gripe I had with my 03....

WHY DO THEY OVER-TIGHTEN THE OIL FILTER AT THE PLANT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

When I performed my first oil change in my 03, I broke my oil filter wrench, crushed the filter, and had to resort to the old "Stab a screwdriver through the filter" technique...
I broke 2 filter wrenches and a strap wrench this time, snapped 1 Craftsman screwdriver, and bent another (fortunately Sears replaced them no questions asked.)

It's bad enough they install black filters to make it hard for novices to find them (I guess in an effort to boost service appointments at the dealers)... but to torque the damn thing to the point the actual metal of the filter is bottomed out on the mount is REDICULOUS!

But, back to the actual truck as a whole, I'm still in love.
City MPG is what I expected, depending on traffic, and the fact that my round trip commute to work is all of 6.4 miles (with a total of 22 traffic signals) I get about 14-15MPG....
However, she SHINES on the highway. I average 21 MPG on my 230 mile round trip weekends to the shore.... this includes 3-5 short (8 mile) trips to/from the marina where my boat is moored, with about 20 miles of "mixed" driving each way as I cross through Philadelphia... My 03 would get 11-14 mpg regardless of city/hwy driving.

Unlike the OP, I love my radio. It's currently holding 6 cd's of MP3's... And I'm really sold on Sirius...

Haven't made many mods... Well, a lot of you guys would say I have made any... Got LineX, Vent-Shades, DeeZee nerfs, 3' dual trumpet Air horns (Uncle retired from Amtrak!) running on 120PSI an AirHog filter, and my brother-in-law that works for 3M hooked me up with some sweet thin insulation that I used to wrap the factory air box..

I'm looking at exhausts, but like a lot of 06 owners, I'm waiting to see some field tests... I want something that not only sounds good, but is 100% reliable with the MDS.
Also considering converting to electric radiator fan.

When I wear down the stock Goodyears, I'm going to get a set of TA KO's... Had them on my 03 and loved 'em... In fact, that was my only regret... not requesting the dealer swap over my old 17's and TA KO's (which had under 10k miles on them!) Oh well... chalk one up to hindsight.

The only thing I'm really dying to find that doesn't seem to be available yet (without going custom) is a good looking, high quality brush/grill guard setup for the 06.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:41 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I see you had a run in with the factory gorilla! The factory oil filter is on there TIGHT!!! I pretty much had the same situation that you did, but didn't break anything.

The mileage only gets better with time. Mine finally leveled out after 12-15K miles. I get about 18 or so hwy, 13 or so in town and currently 15-16 mixed. I can live with that.

The stock GY tires aren't bad, but they aren't the greatest, either. I just replaced mine with G-Y Wrangler Silent Armors. They are superb.

Glad you're loving on your truck.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:52 PM
saber7

I got my 06 2500 4x4 back in January, and let me tell you guys I dont think the love will ever end. I use to have a 99 2WD single cab Ram, and my new truck is one hell of an upgrade. The gas milage isnt anything to brag about, but im willing to put up with it. Im still amazed every time i put the hammer down how quick this big, heavy truck will get up and move. I am looking at replacing the tires eventually with some BFG AT KO's i just need to figure out how big i can go without any rubbin issues.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:33 AM
New2Durango
Professional

6 months and 4,700 miles later I still love my truck. I don't drive it that much due to my job (truck driver). The Super 40s were a great investment and turns heads wherever I go. The only gripe I have is how soon it shifts into the higher gears. Still love it tho.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:48 AM
MisterZ

Traded in my Ford Expedition and now at just under 1300 miles, I still love my truck and can't imagine what I was thinking with the Expy. No complaints on the truck from me...

Quick Reply: How is your truck doing?