3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flow Master Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 01:44 AM
dodge_it
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flow Master Power Loss

I just installed a Flow Master American Thunder series (dumped in front of rear tires) and full AirAid CIA. What I thought was going to give me more power seems to have done the opposite. I don't seem to have the punch I use to have and it seems that way at all speeds. Has any one else out there experienced the same problem?

Does anyone know if a Jet Chip or SC Tuner would fix this problem?

Fuel mileage does seem to have in proved.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:57 AM
worst nightmare
Default RE: Flow Master Power Loss

Did it come with the 20's or did you have them installed at the same time? Did you have all these options installed at the same time. Please list setup before and after you noticed the power/torque loss. It can probably be explained....

Old 08-05-2006, 03:43 AM
dodge_it

Sorry for the confudion...........This on my 03 dodge 1500. It was all stock until I added the CAI and exhaust.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:16 PM
New2Durango
Professional

No power loss with my Super 40s.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Stroker
Veteran

What might be felt as a power loss might actually be a change in the power curve. If the curve moved up in the power band it might not feel as responsive but would make up for it at higher rpms. I would however expect this setup to improve power across the whole band so I would start looking at improper install.

You do say it has improved fuel milage so that leads me to beleive it is all installed correctly leading to the final option. It just didn't give it the improvement you expected. This is such a minor mod it is sometimes hard to feel a difference with a seat of the pants dyno. So what seems to feel slower might all be a mental thing.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:33 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It is somewhat known that Flowmaster exhaust will not give you any performance gain over a stock system, even though they claim it. I put flows on a 97 Formula WS6 and saw a power loss, although that exhaust from the factory was pretty good, but still....

I did not feel a loss on my Ram with the 50 I put on. If there was a loss or gain it was only a HP or two.

With that said flows give you one of the best aftermarket sounds.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:19 PM
dodge_it

You got that right, it is hard to beat the sound of the flowmaster system.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 AM
gordo24fan
Professional

I have the 50 series on my 4.7 and feel like I added power. Might be different on the Hemi or the CAI changed things. Just curious if you added an X-pipe? I felt the power only after I added the magnaflow x pipe as I had no crossover prior.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:57 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran

ONLY from what i understand (which doesnt mean much) you need the right setup for the exhaust...what size pipes did they use and what kind of setup is it. I have a catback system with 3" pipes until it hits the muffler...then 2.25 pies after that...with the HEMI it has something to do with back pressure and if the pipes are too big you lose torque, which would make your takeoffs slower...seems weird to me, seems like the bigger pipes would make it flow better, but the smaller pipes retain back pressure, make it more powerful etc...my 2 cents, maybe im wrong/

Old 08-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

i put flowmasters on my truck and im not going to claim i got more horses but pulling out and getting on it i did notice it took off faster and was more responsive...

Quick Reply: Flow Master Power Loss