3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N Intake installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Intake installed

ok i have an 04 4.7 and me and my dad got after it the other day. i def couldnt have done it myself the first time but id be confident to put it on anytruck with the same engine i have now that i know the process. took about 2 hours to do the whole thing, taking stock parts off and putting new parts on. the truck sounds amazing. the intake makes the exhaust even louder at wot. from 70-100 is like nothing and the truck keeps pulling i had to hold it back so i didnt hit the 106 shutoff point. (does it actually shutoff or just hold the speed from going over 106???) havent noticed a big improvement in mileage but ive been driving it harder than i normally do and it hasnt gone down any. on the test drive me and my dad got 12.4 (up from 12.3) and that was ******* it, testing out 0-60 times (ill do a seat-of-the-pants 0-60 test later on and post it) any one whos thinking about this mod and is still on the fence about it will be pleased. i ordered it late tuesday so the order went into the computers wednesday morning. they said it should be in in 3-5 business days so i was expecting it in 5 business days but it came in on friday exactly 3 days after i ordered it. the instructions were good and detailed but not detailed enough. had to read some of the steps twice and reread some previous steps and preread the next few steps to fully understand some of it but it wasnt anything that any of yall couldnt figure out. it came with all of the parts needed and had some extra washers and bolts left over. on one step you had to remove the 13mm bolt from the upper fan shroud and you were supposed to replace it with and 8mm bolt that they were supposed to provide but there wasnt one so we just reused the 13mm bolt with no problem at all. some of the bolts the instructions told you to use a certain size socket to remove it and the socket ended up too big but my dad pointed out that the kit was developed in 02 and was supposed to fit all 02-05 dodges with the 4.7 and that in between 02 and 04 (the year model of my truck) they might have changed bolt sizes on that particular part. all in all im pleased. price wasnt too bad but im just a teenager who only has to pay for gas and whatever else i want to do for fun so i make enough money to afford gas for a month (i have a gas card and write my parents a check at the end of the month for whatever amount of gas i used.) and still have been able to build up my checking account over the summer but for some of yall who have a family to provide for and car notes and house notes to pay off and insurance and utility bills to pay it might be a bigger hit. it was 322.44 and after tax came to 349.09. for anyone interested in ordering this the part number is 571529. sorry for the long post but ive noticed alot ofposts about CAIs on here lately and i hope maybe this will answer some ppls questions about it. feel free to ask any questions. i might try to take some pics of it later on today.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
saber27
Default RE: K&N Intake installed

I got the same CAI for my truck. It's an 03 4.7L and it really opened it up. Before the exhaust. but after the exhaust she really sounds good. Anyway enjoy the kit you'll gain a little mileage. If you really wanna gain some mileage on the highway granny peddle it. Because if not she'll just drink the gas. I've gotten 21.8mpg on a long trip before. (My math no the overhead computer) before CAI and exaust I barely managed a 17.2

So it was an improvement.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

well im goin to louisiana this saturday to visit my friend before school starts back so ill get some highway time and you know im gonna be doing the speed limit because the worst thing i can do when my parents finally let me take a long trip is get pulled over by the LA state troopers. lol

Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 AM
nash1970
Professional

You can get that CAI on Ebay for under 200.00.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

i dont deal thru ebay mainly because i dont have an account and i dont want to deal thru ebay because ive heard too many horror stories from friends and relative getting ripped off or having **** not work when they buy it. i would rather have the peace of mind of knowing that everything is gonna work when i buy it.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:39 PM
rakkasan1012003
Rookie

It took you how long, 2 hours to install. What did you do take a 1 1/2 hour smoke break?

Old 08-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

lol not a complete two hours it was more like 1hr 45 min but i just rounded up. this is the first time either me or my dad has done anything like this and we wanted to take our time and make sure it was right. id be willing to bet i could do it again in half the time now that i know how but cmon? 30 minutes? if you can disassemble all the stock stuff AND put the new stuff on (and pick up all your tools before taking it on a drive like we did) in 30 minutes then you just impressed the hell out of me. but anways i took my friend on a drive today while we were hanging out and now hes gonna be buying one as soon as he gets the money. he rides with me all the time so he pretty much knows how my truck sounds and feels when your riding in it and i didnt tell him id put an intake on and i was just goin down his road at about 20 and mashed the gas all the way and it threw his head back and he was like what the hell did you do to your truck? so i pulled over and showed him and now hes getting one to put in his f**d when he gets the ca$h.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johndcjr1989

ok i have an 04 4.7 and me and my dad got after it the other day. i def couldnt have done it myself the first time but id be confident to put it on anytruck with the same engine i have now that i know the process. took about 2 hours to do the whole thing, taking stock parts off and putting new parts on. the truck sounds amazing. the intake makes the exhaust even louder at wot. from 70-100 is like nothing and the truck keeps pulling i had to hold it back so i didnt hit the 106 shutoff point. (does it actually shutoff or just hold the speed from going over 106???) havent noticed a big improvement in mileage but ive been driving it harder than i normally do and it hasnt gone down any. on the test drive me and my dad got 12.4 (up from 12.3) and that was ******* it, testing out 0-60 times (ill do a seat-of-the-pants 0-60 test later on and post it) any one whos thinking about this mod and is still on the fence about it will be pleased. i ordered it late tuesday so the order went into the computers wednesday morning. they said it should be in in 3-5 business days so i was expecting it in 5 business days but it came in on friday exactly 3 days after i ordered it. the instructions were good and detailed but not detailed enough. had to read some of the steps twice and reread some previous steps and preread the next few steps to fully understand some of it but it wasnt anything that any of yall couldnt figure out. it came with all of the parts needed and had some extra washers and bolts left over. on one step you had to remove the 13mm bolt from the upper fan shroud and you were supposed to replace it with and 8mm bolt that they were supposed to provide but there wasnt one so we just reused the 13mm bolt with no problem at all. some of the bolts the instructions told you to use a certain size socket to remove it and the socket ended up too big but my dad pointed out that the kit was developed in 02 and was supposed to fit all 02-05 dodges with the 4.7 and that in between 02 and 04 (the year model of my truck) they might have changed bolt sizes on that particular part. all in all im pleased. price wasnt too bad but im just a teenager who only has to pay for gas and whatever else i want to do for fun so i make enough money to afford gas for a month (i have a gas card and write my parents a check at the end of the month for whatever amount of gas i used.) and still have been able to build up my checking account over the summer but for some of yall who have a family to provide for and car notes and house notes to pay off and insurance and utility bills to pay it might be a bigger hit. it was 322.44 and after tax came to 349.09. for anyone interested in ordering this the part number is 571529. sorry for the long post but ive noticed alot ofposts about CAIs on here lately and i hope maybe this will answer some ppls questions about it. feel free to ask any questions. i might try to take some pics of it later on today.
Nope just doesn't go any faster, thanks to the fly by wire it doesn't buck like my wife's Liberty.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

i had to re read my post to figure out what you were talkin about at first but thanks thats a question ive been wanting an answer to for a long time.

Quick Reply: K&N Intake installed