3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Suspension Towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:14 PM
wmichell227
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Suspension Towing

Tongue weight sounds right to me. I had the bed loaded with coolers and luggage and the 4 wheeler was sideways on the trailer (in the front) to make room for the mattress and box spring. The trailer is designed to have 2 ATV's on it sideways. I wonder though if I would benefit from the air bag style suspension like was mentioned or should I try Air Shocks?

Old 08-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Jetpig
Professional

The air bag helper setup for me was awesome. I installed them on a 96 1500 2wd that I lowered 4 inches on the rear with a belltech kit. Handling was much better but with any load it would repeatedly bottom out. Found this air bag helper kit and installed it. No more bottom out, handling much improved. Prior to that I had installed assist springs, pure crap that I would never do again. Added a leaf spring, terrrible ride! The bags were perfect. If I put on a load at all, I would just kick up the PSI till the truck was back to a level ride.

Air shocks, I suppose the quality is probably better than years past but I have witnessed one blowing out before. Not pretty!
Pig

Old 08-18-2006, 12:05 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I towed a 6x12 U-haul trailer last week. It was loaded full of furniture, and the truck was not sagging at all. The only thing that was bothering me, was when the trailer was emtpy, the rear of the truck was bouncing. The bouncing went away after the trailer was loaded. I am considering putting on a "air bag-load leveling system" just in case I have heavier trailer that would make it sag. Just my $.02

Old 09-08-2006, 05:02 PM
AA/FD 88 Hemi

I tow my dragster trailer and what I did was I took the leaf springs out and had the shop add a full length spring ( from eyelet to eyelet) under the main spring which helps because it acts a overload leaf when I put alot of weight on the tongue, but when I am not towing then the ride is normal can tell a difference

Old 09-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Palm
Professional

Putting extra spring support or air shocks under the truck to maintain a level attitude is okay if that's the way you want to go. Remember, however, this does nothing to increase the payload capacity of the vehicle, or for increasing tongue weight capacity. Keep in mind that the GAWR of the vehicle remains the same also.

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Towing