3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:55 AM
ibanezta
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: exhaust leak

get a long rubber hose like a fuel like or something along those lines. put one end in ur ear, and the other at the manifold-y connection point with the truck running. the hose will focus the sound to one small area which will allow you to hear if it's coming from there.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Hemitough

alright kewl thanks

Old 09-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Hemitough

well i took my truck into a better muffler shop and they said it wasnt an exhaust leak. they said its on the passenger side and has something to do with the engine but sounds like an exhaust leak. they told me to take it in to the dealership and get it fixed with my warrantty..

Old 09-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Hemi_Chris
Professional

I can't believe nobody responded to this with the infamous "Hemi tick".

What you're hearing is the normal, very common, valvetrain noise that all our 5.7's make. It's nothing to be worried about.

Just to be sure, let your dealer look (listen) and confirm, but believe me you'll get used to it. My '03 QC developed the hemi tick, which I swore was a bad valve, after about 5000 miles. Two trips to the dealership and one visit to this website allayed my fears. The engine has never given me a single problem and I run it hard quite frequently. I have several mods as well.

Some people claim the Hemi tick can be lessened by using varying weights of oil, but I don't think this helps much if at all (I've tried 15W, 20W, 30W as well as 40W with no noticeable change).

Old 09-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Hemitough

man if thats true then that sucks. cause i cant get the full sound volume of my flowmasters cause im listening to that stupid noise.. but i will take it in and see just to make sure.. thanks

Old 09-05-2006, 06:43 PM
ibanezta
Rookie

the "hemi tick" isn't that loud. i dont hear mine from inside the truck. just standing at the passenger side front fender. also with the hood open, a lot of the ticking you hear are the fuel injectors. but if you can hear this inside the truck, it's got to be an exhaust leak, or something wrong with the engine. maybe try different dealers to see if they will fix it.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:01 PM
mge_1

ORIGINAL: Hemitough

man if thats true then that sucks. cause i cant get the full sound volume of my flowmasters cause im listening to that stupid noise.. but i will take it in and see just to make sure.. thanks
i have an 03 qc 4.7l and i hear the same sound. i'll have it checked when i get my exhaust upgrade.

Quick Reply: exhaust leak