3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Hemitough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust leak

i have an 03 hemi quad cab. When i stand next to my passenger side front door i can hear something that sound like an exhaust leak but when i took it in they said i didnt have one. when i get on it i can hear it and when i press the gas at anytime i can hear it really good... what else could it be... i sware its an exhaust leak but i dont know

Old 08-31-2006, 03:26 AM
finny
All Star
Default RE: exhaust leak

do you have an engine break?

Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Hemitough

can you explain what that is???

Old 08-31-2006, 05:49 PM
finny
All Star

like exhaust brake?

Old 08-31-2006, 06:20 PM
silverram99
Captain

Hemitough- The way you describe it sounds like an exhaust leak, a really common place for them to be is where the Y pipe mounts to the exhaust manifolds. Crawl under your truck while its running and carefully feel around that area. For some reason lately I have been seeing alot of late model trucks doing this. The truck was probably hot when you took it to the shop and since exhaust is kinda tough to work with they probably just werent interested. Anyway if you find the leak in that area, you might carefully try to tighten up the bolts if they arent tight already.

Finny-Being a gas motor in a pick-up I'm going to seriously doubt that he has an exhaust brake. I want to doubt it even more seeing as how he didnt know what that was.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Hemitough

alright thanks i will try that and see. i was out there in the shop with them when they looked at it and they took a flat peice of cardboard and covered up the end of my tailpipe til the engine shut off them took it off and it came back on.. so would that show them theres not an exhaust leak...

Old 08-31-2006, 07:34 PM
groeder

I'm no great mechanic, but that test to me would only indicate that there isn't a completly disconnected pipe in your exhaust system or at least a very large hole in the system that would be easily seen. The little tick-tick sound you describe is from a fairly small leak. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:05 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: groeder

I'm no great mechanic, but that test to me would only indicate that there isn't a completly disconnected pipe in your exhaust system or at least a very large hole in the system that would be easily seen. The little tick-tick sound you describe is from a fairly small leak. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
No you are right. The tick noise is almost always a fairly small leak. The cardboard test I would think was to show you that if you close off the tail pipe enough backpressure would build up and cause the motor to die because the gasses have no where to go. Still a small leak comes to mind but just for fun how about this, did the shop offer an explanation of the noise you are hearing?

Old 09-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Cunard

i ended up tightening the connections and the sound went away...i really noticed the sound when i was going up hills or passing on the highway

Old 09-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Hemitough

the shop told me they couldnt hear anything but they were jerks and were pissed at me because i didnt buy my flowmasters from them 2 weeks earlier so they could of just been bein idiots. ya i really notice it when im up next to a car and the sound bounces off there car. i know its a exhaust leak but the guys at the shop are jerks.. but thanks for the inputs guys

Quick Reply: exhaust leak