3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 QC towing question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:07 PM
wmichell227
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 QC towing question

Ok, I know I posted a similar question here a few weeks ago, but I can't find it. Does anyone know if replacing the rear shocks will help me with the saggy rear end of my truck when I'm towing? Or would I be better off getting a spring stiffener (air bag) I'm towing two large ATV's on an aluma ATV trailer. Tongue weight is a little heavier because we have a storage box on the front of the trailer.

It drives me crazy to see the back end lower than the front when I have a trailer attached.

Thanks

Old 09-01-2006, 05:31 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: 03 QC towing question

If you get shocks that have the option of filling with air, yes, it will help with the sagging. The shock does not actually support the weight of the truck or what is in it, that is from springs/torsion bars. I suggest you either get the Monroe shocks with the air bladder in them to support the extra weight, not worry about it, or possibly rearrange the trailer. I know a saggy truck looks bad, but if it is every once in a while, does it matter? Is it hindering driveability?

Old 09-03-2006, 03:07 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

If you get shocks that have the option of filling with air, yes, it will help with the sagging. The shock does not actually support the weight of the truck or what is in it, that is from springs/torsion bars. I suggest you either get the Monroe shocks with the air bladder in them to support the extra weight, not worry about it, or possibly rearrange the trailer. I know a saggy truck looks bad, but if it is every once in a while, does it matter? Is it hindering driveability?
Nope just looks bad..... My truck doesn't have a Hemi, so I have to rely on its good looks

Old 09-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

probably if you could do air bags, or what he said about the monroes w/ air bladders

Old 09-03-2006, 04:23 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

You really need to be careful of leveling a truck using shocks. The shock perches were not made for a lot of pressure and could crack or break off completely. I suggegt a equalizer hitch or just the simple add-a-spring you can get at any auto parts store. I use an equilizer hitch on my travel trailer and it keeps everythng perfectly level.

Quick Reply: 03 QC towing question