3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New 06 Ram MDS Hemi...Mods???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:17 AM
boatn70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 06 Ram MDS Hemi...Mods???

thanks for the help here....im new to the forums!!

I have an 06 Ram with the MDS Hemi, wondering if any of you have done some mods to these motors and what success or improvments youve seen.
Id like to get better overall performance so im thinking intake, exhaust etc....but dont know where to begin and end.
what about superchargers or turbos?

also....a different note.....its a 4X4, QC, with the 20" chrome wheels and id like to lower it a little, i think the look would be good....anyone got any photos or ideas for me. Im not too worried about ground clearance because i dont go off road!!

kevin

Old 09-09-2006, 01:26 PM
boatn70
Default RE: New 06 Ram MDS Hemi...Mods???

WHAT???

no one has any input on this????

Old 09-09-2006, 02:19 PM
RedSS454
Veteran

Alright, I don't know much about the MDS, but since no one else is helping you out, I'll give you my $.02.

From what i have read here, an exhaust system on the MDS will cause it to have a 'strange' sound when the Computer cuts out the 4 cylinders. I would think that you would get a small power gain, but I wouldn't want my truck sounding like anything buy an 8 cylinder.

I don't see anything wrong with a CAI kit.

The supercharger could get a little tricky. I don't think this has been discussed, but if a supercharger or a turbo is designed to fill 8 cylinders and when you're cruising, and shut down 4, then where does the extra boost and fuel go? I think it would hurt the motor, but I don't know for sure.

Thats just the way I see things,

Chris

Old 09-15-2006, 03:00 AM
06 ramguy

Boatn, I also own a 06 with MDS, let me start with saying I hate it. When Dodge decided to put the MDS system on the hemi, they done there buyers a huge favor, but........Our 06's come with a electronically controlled throttle system, a CAI will do wonders for freeing up some power, but....You will have a popping noise at idle because your computer is trying to figure out why you are getting so much air. The only time this is a problem is at idle, going down the road it somehow corrects itself. As for mufflers/exhaust systems on vehicles with MDS, you will recognize a difference in sound, very minimal i just put a flowmater 50 series delta flow on my truck. The 50 series is almost stock quiet at idle, but opens up VERY nicley at about 3000 or 3500. As far as the sound goes you can put your truck in Tow/Haul mode and it shuts off the MDS. The best way i know to describe the sound is, it sounds like the truck is revving down, like if you had a manual and left it in gear. I hope this helps, I know that these two work so there you go. Oh yeah on lowering you rear end summitracing.com has a kit for 80 bucks that will get you down 1.5-2 inches.