3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new shocks for leveling kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:08 AM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new shocks for leveling kit?

Has anyone installed a leveling kit on their 3rd gen Ram? I just ordered one off of ebay, and it came with add-a-leafs in the rear. What I'd like to know is if anyone has had to, or recommends installing new/longer shocks? I see shocks for 4"-6" lift kits, but nothing for 1"-3" lift kits. Any opinions?

Old 09-15-2006, 03:22 AM
Monkeyman
Default RE: new shocks for leveling kit?

I'm not sure why you got anything for the rear with a leveling kit. If you have 2wd, you should have got a couple of plastic donut spacers. If you have 4wd, you should get a pair of re indexing dohickeys (not the technical term, I'm sure) and maybe a pair of shock mount relocaters. To level the truck you want to raise the front only, not the rear.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:28 AM
prerunner
Captain

Not sure what year u have, but the 06's don't have any longer shocks out yet. I went with the Revtek leveling kit and it didn't need new shocks.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:48 AM
dirtydodge02
Banned

My leveling kit had a notice that said "Not required, but recommended." If you plan on hitting any big bumps like I do, go with 2" longer shocks. Also, like Monkeyman said, I only got the new torsion keys. You got the 1" in the rear, 3" in the front leveler it sounds like. I'd almost guarantee that you'll need new shocks if I'm right on that.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:37 PM
motorhead426
All Star

Here's the lift I bought.

Ebay leveling kit

It comes with new keys for a 2" to 3" lift in the front, and 2" add-a-leafs in the rear. My truck is a 2005, 4x4, QC, Hemi. I know I'll need the add-a-leafs in the rear, because I leveled out the truck with the stock keys, and if I add another couple of inches, then the rear will be too low. I was just interested in hearing if anyone knew some part numbers for some shocks. I'm gonna call Bilstein next week and ask what they recommend. I really like their 5100 sereis, but not sure they have what I might need. After I leveled out the truck last winter with the stock keys I could tell that the shocks felt different. I do some offroading, at least the point where the suspension flexes enough for the rear tire to come off the gound once in a while.

Quick Reply: new shocks for leveling kit?