3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Problem.. I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:46 PM
jlgarza21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem.. I think

2003 QC 4x4
Automatic
46,000 miles
Serviced every 3 months

I'm posting here since I'm not the most mechanically inclined person when it comes to fixing cars. I don't want the Service guy's at the dealership to tell me it's nothing. Only to find it's a major problem, after my extended warranty runs out at 50,000 miles..

Here's my problem

This past weekend I started my truck up, and let it warm up a bit (about 3 min.). I turned the corner to exit my driveway, and pressed the brakes (car was coming around the corner). I noticed while covering the break, my truck was surging. The best way I can describe it, is if felt like someone was pushing the gas pedal while I was on the brakes. While it was doing this surging, I looked down at my RPM's, and it was a steady 900-1000 rpm's. It surged about 4 times before I released the brake, and pressed the gas. No problems there. It seems to only do it during the morning. I'm in California, so it's not freezing cold, but cold by our standards. It's done this 3 or 4 times now, over the past month.

Any ideas?

Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 PM
vwomein
Professional
Default RE: Transmission Problem.. I think

this may sound dumb, but is there any chance you're pushing the gas with the corner of your foot? Maybe you got new boots recently?
Just a thought. I've heard of that before.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:43 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Ha ha! I've done that!!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 AM
offroadinjersey

was it wet out maybe your discs werent completely dry yet, if it was the first break of your drive. Just a thought

Old 09-19-2006, 04:59 AM
mrchip04

were your wheels turned really sharp? b/c the power stearing pump creates drang on the motor and the computer will supply more gas to keep it running.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:48 PM
jlgarza21

ORIGINAL: mrchip04

were your wheels turned really sharp? b/c the power stearing pump creates drang on the motor and the computer will supply more gas to keep it running.
Actually yes.. It's a sharp right turn.. Depending how the cars are coming down the road, I can sometimes widen my turn (I live next to a school, so traffic in the morning is tough).

The check engine light has never come on. That just might be it.. Thanks,

Old 09-19-2006, 07:41 PM
motorhead426
All Star

The PCM automatically runs the engine idle a little higher when the engine is cold. Cold meaning that the engine is not to operating temp (200°+). This is also known as "open loop". The the engine reaches operating temp, the computer goes into "closed loop", and the engine runs at lower RPM's because the there is not as much fuel being supplied. Also, your transmission does not shift the same cold as it does hot. For instance, your overdrive does not kick in until the transmission temp has reached a specific temp. The is a bunch of things that feel different when the engine is completely warm. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem.. I think