3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Limited slip

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:09 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Limited slip

I don't know about "JACKING THE TRUCK UP" , but it really sounds a whole lot easier to call the dealership and provide them, with the last 8 numbers of the VIN. But hey, it's your choice. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:55 AM
gordo24fan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what are the options if you want but don't have a limited slip diff.? A Locker or a new Diff.?

Old 10-06-2006, 04:05 AM
arrowman
Professional

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

Just jack up the back of the truck. If you turn one tire forward and the other tire does the same, you have a limited slip. If it goes in the opposite direction, you have an open differential.

Ummm...Ummmm... I hope not..
LSD and regular diffs will BOTH spin like that without an input direction and load.
This is not a valid test.

Take a look for a tag on one of the bolts on your diff's cover if you didn't keep the window sticker..
If there's still a doubt, stop by any DCX dealer and have them scan your VIN and pull up the specs.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Stroker
Veteran

Depending where live you might have luck at a salvage yard and just get a complete rear end. If you go the after market rout I would avoid a locker if you drive much on the street, but then again if it is an off road vehicle the added benefit of a locker may be worth the added tire wear. A good after market diff to look at is Power Trax (I think that’s the one) this is almost a locker but is supposed to be street friendly, but I don't have any personal experience with one just what I've read and heard. I wanted to say that Arrowman but have never tested it on my truck. That sound more like a spool than an LSD, even most locker require input to spin the wheel in the same direction.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:10 AM
gordo24fan
Professional

Just talked to dealer. They sell the LS gears for $625. It's easier than changing whole rear end. Will probably have them change the gears too to keep warranty intact. Probably total cost just under $1000. Oh well, hard to earn, easy to spend.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:05 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really sure. But i would venture to say that alot of the guys on this forum could provide you with an answer.
If not, you could always consult a parts person at the dealership, to get some idea.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Limited slip