3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Limited slip

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Hill202
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited slip

First let me say, great forum! lots of good info.

I purchased a 2004 Ram 1500 last week. I thought I would change the rear end fluid. I understand that if its limited slip I need to include an additive along with the syn. oil. How can I tell if its limited slip or are they all limited slip?

Thanks

Old 10-04-2006, 03:04 AM
schmedly
Rookie
Default RE: Limited slip

Look on your window sticker, or inside your glove box (sticker), or the underside of the hood. All those places should give the info. If all else fails, take the VIN to the dealership and the parts guy will tell you.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Hill202

Yea, I looked in those places. The glove box sticker said a coporate 9 rear axle?? I guess I'll take the vin to the dealer. I thought with all the dodge experts here someone would know.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2006, 09:38 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently i had the work performed. I have a 2002 QC 1500 4X4, and my vehicle take approximately 5oz of this limited slip additive.
But, guess what? the dealership only sells it in 4oz sizes, which means, if you need 5oz, you need to purchase two bottles.
It's approximately 8.00 dollars a bottle. so you'll spend 16.00 dollars.
Furnish your VIN number to the parts guy at the dealership, and he can tell you.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Hill202

I wonder if it would hurt the rear end if you put the additive in and it was not limited slip. The more I read on this forum, the more that rear end worries me. Change fluid every 15K!! What a pain !

Old 10-04-2006, 09:51 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey i woudn't chance it.. I spent close to 80.00 dollars for fluids for the Differential fluids/transfer case fluids... alot cheaper than having to repair or replace it.
By the way, I'm not endorsing mobil 1,, but i purchased Mobil 1 75W-90 GL5 gear lube. which indicated that i didn't need to add a slip additive, but i added it anyway, just to be safe.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 PM
cumminalong

Just jack up the back of the truck. If you turn one tire forward and the other tire does the same, you have a limited slip. If it goes in the opposite direction, you have an open differential.

As for the additives, here's a technique that a few of us have used to get the best performance out of the LS.

Refill the diff with just the gear oil. Go to a parking lot, preferably empty or almost so. This will give the rear end a little time to warm up. Now, start doing a few tight circles. YOu'll hear the rear end making a little noise as it tries to grab. Add 1-2 oz's at a time until the noise goes away. Then you're all set and should have a LS that hooks up nicely.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
kharding20
Professional

Put Royal Purple Gear oil in and it wont matter. It has the additive already in it.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Hill202

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

Just jack up the back of the truck. If you turn one tire forward and the other tire does the same, you have a limited slip. If it goes in the opposite direction, you have an open differential.

As for the additives, here's a technique that a few of us have used to get the best performance out of the LS.

Refill the diff with just the gear oil. Go to a parking lot, preferably empty or almost so. This will give the rear end a little time to warm up. Now, start doing a few tight circles. YOu'll hear the rear end making a little noise as it tries to grab. Add 1-2 oz's at a time until the noise goes away. Then you're all set and should have a LS that hooks up nicely.

Thanks, based on what you're saying its not limited slip. I had some wheels put on it and noticed the wheels rolling opposite.

As a side note, I also drive another 04 Ram, company vehicle, It was issued to me with 6k on it. It now has 93k on it. I know for a fact the rear end fluid has never been changed. But with my personal truck you can bet it'll get changed

Old 10-05-2006, 04:09 AM
Stroker
Veteran

you only need to change it that often with the limited slip.

Quick Reply: Limited slip