3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Cutoff for a 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Seanutz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Cutoff for a 4.7

So i got my truck and my buddy and i were cruisin doin I4 bout 100 and i punched it and i got to 105 and the fuel cut out. Anyone know how i can get the govenor off? Its really annoyyin cause i know the truck wants to do more than 105 i can feel it. Its beggin to be released from its cage. Help me, this is just the first step to my dream of my Small block *** kicker.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Enricay
Default RE: Fuel Cutoff for a 4.7

If you get one of those performance computers like superchips, they will get rid of the governor. Other than that i do no know any other way. If you have a friend with a scan tool you might be able to, but not sure. worth a try though.
ERIC

Old 10-16-2006, 03:48 AM
abarmby
Champion

I think while at WOT and at the rev limiter, you can switch the ignition off/on VERY quickly.
The emphasis on quicly.
I think this temporarily removes the rev limiter.
Just something I read somewhere, haven't tried it myself or condone it.
Al.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Enricay

UM............ that sounds very bad. as in locking the steering possable while doing 100MPH. I would NOT try that.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I've heard the same thing about the key trick. There are a few guys on this forum that have tried it. I'm not about to try it myself though, because of the possible things that could go wrong while driving a full size truck at those speeds. When I get that anxious about going over 100 I'll just buy a programmer and have all the other features. So the programmer seems the best reliable way to get around the governor.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

the key trick is that while your driving turn the key over all the way and hold it like you would to start the truck. i think all of your gauges die and your ac and radio dont work. youll here a loud beep but it takes away the governer. ive tried it a few times in my truck. most of the times it was in my friends 03 4.7 tho and we had abuddy of his with a stang follow us and he clocked us doing about 130. the only problem with this is if you do it too much youll get a check engine light but he just disconnected his battery and let it sit overnight and hooked it up in the morning. another downside is that its problly not too comfortable to be holding the key turned over for an extended amount of time.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Seanutz
Veteran

that just sounds like a bad idea. I think ill just go grab a programmer or something. What would you guys recommend?

Also i plan on putting new cams an underdrive pulley system, electric fan, 4.56 gears and cold air induction, dunno how long itll take me to get all that and put it in the truck but itll happen sooner or later...hopefully sooner than later...

Old 10-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

yeah i only did it in mine a few times when i first got it. i dont encourage ppl to do it i think its bad for your computer.

if you have an 03 or lower 4.7 then superchips makes a programmer for you. if you have an 04 or newer 4.7 then there is a jet chip for it. stage 1 runs on 87 octane and doesnt need any other mods done to it. stage 2 requires exhaust and "free flowing intake" as they put it. it runs on 93 octane. the downside is ive heard that after a few thousand miles the computer adapts to the jet chip and you lose the power gains unless you reset your pcm.

if you have any year model hemi then ive heard good things about superchips and hypertech. personally if i were in the market for one for a hemi i would go with superchips but i dont have any experience with either of those systems so maybe some one who has used one or both of them could give you better advice. there have been a few posts about programmers on here lately try looking back a few pages or doing a search and youll find some good answers.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:52 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LET'S SEE..............TRAVELING AT 100 MPH, THEN TURNING OFF THE IGNITION.....DOES NOT SOUND WISE TO ME...I REPEAT, DOES NOT SOUND WISE TO ME.......I WOULDN'T DO IT, AND I WOULDN'T SUGGEST THAT YOU DO IT EITHER....
DON'T DO IT PAL,,, SOUNDS LIKE BAD NEWS.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

its not turning off the ignition..its turning the key over to the starting position. all it does is disconnect the circuits that control your guages and radio/ac and stuff. the computer is smart enough to keep the starter from spinning while your doing this. i still wouldnt do it though.

i just realized you might have been talking about the first idea listed where he was told to turn it on and off 3 times. i agree that does not sound wise at all.

Quick Reply: Fuel Cutoff for a 4.7