3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 tundra.....hemi guys worried????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:47 AM
06 tundra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 tundra.....hemi guys worried????

not trying to be a troll but, a read this whole thread and everyone was saying the dodge's are faster. But that was before the specs. came out on the new tundra.Why not anymore? just post's saying "we will see if its dependable" has anyone seen the specs. on the new tundra? i did, and its FAST. Check this out guys http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...opanel..2.*#20 then look at this http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/...s_crewmax.html but i gotta hand it to you guys, the ram does look nice but reliability is more important and for the guys that keep saying they want to race, GROW UP! didnt you guys read the post's by vibe (i think thats his name) that the tundras have a better 0-60mph time and after that you guys take the win! but not bad for a1 liter smaller engine and 74hp less huh guys? anyone still think the new tundra is slow?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:25 AM
motorider228
Champion

I never said the new tundra was slow, I have always liked toyota so i just wanted to get everyones opinion on what tthey think of it. I think the guys spouting off about how crappy toyota is are just as bad as the toyota trolls that came over here. Also, stock for stock, sure the new tundra will win. I was only challenging tundras for a race after I heard some tundra guys say they beat hemis all the time and that our trucks are slow. However, none of your tundra friends cared to back up their talk. You tundra guys are just like the titan guys, you will rant and rave about how much faster your trucks are than the dodge 5.7 until it comes to actually proving it. I am normally pretty nice to reasonable visitors from other brands unlike some, but, I am tired of hearing how much faster everyones trucks are but no one cares to prove it. My way of looking at it is, put up or shut up. Maybe you should tell some of your friends to do so. Also, I have said it before but no matter how compelling your arguement is here, you will lose because everyone is blind to their brand and with this forum being 99.9% dodge owners you and your tundra friends will lose the arguement.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
pakaalbite
Professional

If it is faster i think that dodge might put the 6.1L HEMI in the 08 dodge rams

Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Ram fourpoint7

If I ever take the time to join another forum for 1 post just to argue, please shoot me because I have absolutely no life.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 PM
gastoys

Ok, I have been reading all the posts in here and thought I would provide some insite. I am a ex-owner of a 2000 Toyota Tundra (www.iwindesigns.com/tundra/tundra.asp) and an ex-owner of a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi (www.iwindesigns.com/dodgeram/dodgeram.asp) and now own a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. The Toyota Tundra will beat any pickup on the street with the exception of the Hemi, the Titan, Chevy SS and of course the super pickups like the Lighting and SRT10. My Tundra was very light weighing 4,7000 lbs and had no problems putting a whopping on any Dodge, any Ford or any Chevy (exception of course Lighting, SRT10 and Chevy SS). I however neverbought my Tundra to race, but found that many owners of the big three constantly asked me to teach them a lesson about the "other" American built Japanese engineered V8 7/8th fullsize pickup. I never lost any race to any Chevy, Dodge or Ford. I even raced a 1993 Ford Lighting and beat him too! I loved my Tundra and when I took it on hunting trips which required 4x4 it performed flawlessly and needless to say I went places other failed. I put on over 45k miles on my Tundra and never once had any problems and I never did the 15k, 30k, or 45k service. There was one major flaw with my Tundra, it's play load was not designed for my needs as I was always out camping, hunting or ATVing which required me to haul. On numerous occations I haulded a car trailer with 4 ATV's hunting gearand 4 adults which resulted in me driving on just about the bump stops. Since Toyota refused to build a 3/4 ton I had to look at the big three. So I picked up a brand new 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Hemi engine. I chose the Dodge over test driving the Chevy and Ford because the Dodge was all new and the Hemi was exciting with all the exta HP, plus IMO the Dodge looked better and out performed Chevy in every category plus Chevy had the same style from 1998 and Ford was just gutless and the same old style from 1997. Mind you I am a huge Toyota fan and currently own a 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser and have owned 5 Different Toyota pickups, a Camry and 3 Celicas. My new 2003 Dodge Ram was awesome and the sound of the Hemi was incredible and way nicer sounding than my old Tundra. The extra interior room was heaven and the extra 2ft of bed (Tundra 6ft bed - my new Dodge 8ft) was awesome for those camping/hunting trips. When my wife said that SIZE does matter;she is not joking. Bigger is better, don't be fooled if you hear that it's not the size of the ship (Big Three) but the motion (Tundra) of the ocean. Not true!

I was in love with my new Dodge until the day I had to tow the 4ATVs (675lbs each) on top of the car trailer ($2,500lbs) and 1,000lbs of gear + 4 adults. Though the truck performed flawlessly and I know my Tundra probably would have snapped it's axles with that kind of weight it was the Hemi engine that let me down. The Hemi is a screamer and likes to be raced hard like a 21 year old college cheerleader, but put a load on the motor and she crys for help! The Hemi has no TQ at low RPM's and in a big truck like the 2500 she's always in the RPM's looking for her powerband. I could never just dance up a mountain pass without the RPM's hitting 5k! Also, the mileage was horrible. I averaged 9mpg on average empty. On thefreeway I got about 12mpg and when towing I got anywhere from 7 to 9mpg. I also had alot of quirky problems with my Dodge. Like power windows not working, heater controls would not change from defrost to foot heat, put the Dodge in Reverse and the computer had no idea what gear you were in so it defaulted to Neutral, and a few other annoying issues. I was not all that happy with the reliablity. However it was two years later and I was fed up with the gas mileage and the loud screams coming out of the engine bay while towing up the mountain passes and since there still was no 3/4 Ton Toyota I bought a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. This truck is "F"ing awesome and now when I tow the same loads up the pass the engine never even kicks out of over drive an I just putt up the pass turning 1,700RPM's. This truck now being 2 years old with 18k miles has yet given me any issues with the excepion of the "Dodge Reverse Computer Bug" in which sometimes when you shift to Reverse the computer get's confused as to which gear you put it in so it defaults to Neutral. Not a huge issue is just shifting it to Neutral an back to Rervese fixes the problem.

I have seen the new Tunrda and am very disapointed in that there is no 3/4 ton. I am very impressed with the 381hp engine, payload and towing, but the exterioer and interior are a bit funky IMO. I love my Dodge Truck so much that honestly I do not foresee me ever trading her in for a Toyota any time soon. All in all the new Tundra may be a great pickup with lots of power for the weekend warrior and the California crowd, but hook up a 6,000lb load (900lbs tongue weight) add another 1,000lbs for gear in the bed, throw in four big guys like me an my hunting friends at 200lbs+ each (over 800lbs total) and I gurantee the new Tundra will get owned once again by the big three with the 3/4 and 1 ton options. Like the wife says... Size does matter and if you don't believe me ask your wife or girlfriend. :
)

Old 01-19-2007, 04:42 PM
parpar1

I just had to chime in. I have driven a Chevy crew cab dually for years and finally the gas mileage got me. $300 bucks a month. I decided it was time to go buy a new truck. I looked at them all. Dodge, I just can not get past that large truck front-end look. Chevy, still has the best looking front end on the road, but the truck seemed weak/light/thin (talking seats, doors…). But damn I like the look of the Chevy. Ford, had one before, just kept falling apart. Then I decided to look at resale value of the big three plus the Tundra. I could not believe the resale on Tundra’s. Figured since gas mileage is what I really needed and I no longer really have a need to own a large truck since I bought a motor home to pull everything around, the tundra caught my eye. . I am talking 06s, maybe should have waited for the 07s to come out before the buy. ANYWAYS, Went and drove one and holly smokes, rides on rails, smooth, quite and power to fry the wheels from a roll, but just could not see past the fender flares and front end (grill) . Went back to Chevy, I bought the Tundra double cab, TRD bla bla bla. . It has been three months and I still love the ride but still drool when I see a Chevy until I blow them away. Long story short we all know what we like, and not everyone likes the same thing. Lets all see who takes NASCAR this year. Toyota Trucks and Cars! Yes, Toyota is in Cup this year. So from a past BIG driver, line all four up, TUNDRA is the best bang for the buck! Troll out!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:24 PM
mirricleboy
Rookie

Ive not read the whole tread. All I will say is, If you own a Toyota, its still a toyota! lol

Old 01-19-2007, 08:36 PM
parpar1

The only thing that makes fill ok about driving a Toyota is that it was built here in the good old USA by us Americans! I have debadge and removed everything that says it is a toyota to make me feel like a little less of a trader. But damn what a great Truck.

I will let you get back to your Dodges! Those Hemis sure do sound good!

Old 01-20-2007, 01:40 AM
1OF27
Rookie

"Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it was recalling 533,000 Tundra pickup trucks and Sequoia sport utility vehicles because of potential steering problems.

Toyota said the recall involved 2004-2006 Tundra trucks and 2004-2007 Sequoia full-size SUVs. The automaker has received reports of 11 accidents and six injuries connected to the recall, said Toyota spokesman Bill Kwong."

This on top of 2.2 million Toyota's recalled in 2005 and 776,000 recalled in 2006. Yep, they never need to go to the shop. Most reliable vehicles ever built. It would be nice to have that much goodwill built up. They have gone from number 8 in recalls to number 3 and pressing for number 2 and they still get raves from Consumer Reports and the like. Maybe we know what info they were meeting with Ford about earlier. How to handle huge numbers of recalled vehicles.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:56 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Before I bought my dodge I wanted the Tundra, it was a smotth ride and seemed to be a decent truck, after I bought my dodge I will never look back this thing is a beast, anyone that see's the hemi logo cringes, I have beaten titans, fords, cehcvy's. I have beat countless little ricers and when the tundra comes out if it wants to race I am ready anytime, anywhere. If it truely feel's so inclined I can grab my pro-com strap, we can go hitch to hitch and play tug of war....

Quick Reply: 2007 tundra.....hemi guys worried????