3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gibson Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:25 PM
GreyHemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gibson Headers

I just put on my Gibson Headers. I am not impressed with these. No sound change. No performance change. And on top of that i payed a lot of money for these piece of crap. I still have my stock cats on. Does anybody have any suggestions how to get better sound and what kind of muffler yall have on

Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Default RE: Gibson Headers

If you still have the stock muffler on the truck, then its going to be hard to tell of any change. I'd keep the stock cats (or high flow if any change) and mount up a 50 series flowmaster. You'll definitely have a good exhaust note, and I would hope you would feel a power difference. Also remove the stock resonator after the muffler, thats just a waste of weight.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:05 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

Normally there is no sound change with headers, and performance improvement is in the top end of the rpm range. Low end could be worse. 10-15 HP is hard to tell in a truck. You would need to run on a dyno, or ET's at the strip to see it.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Ringwraith
Rookie

What exactly does this resonator do?

Thanks
Sean

Old 10-20-2006, 03:02 AM
reiderr
Professional

A resonator is a small muffler typically located on the tailpipe. It takes the "edge" off the sounds that escape the muffler (the big one located in the middle of the truck). The Hemi is such a loud engine, the resonator was added--I think in 2004. Some folks remove the muffler, but leave the resonator in place. The belief is that this reduces exhaust flow restriction and increases the sound--an inexpensive performance upgrade. After having replaced the entire exhaust system with a Gibson Single exhaust (has no resonator), I didn't see any measureable MPG improvement. However, the sound was deafening in the 1800-2300 rpm range--yep, 70 mph on the highway. Couldn't take the noise while crusing and put the stock exhaust and resonator back on. It was plenty loud enough for these ears... :-)

Roger...

Quick Reply: Gibson Headers