3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Dodge owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:30 PM
tapout
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dodge owner

Hi I just recently purchased a 2003 ram 1500, hemi, 4x4, regular cab,short bed. I have a couple general questions for you guys. What is the best stuff to use on the factory 20's to clean and polish them. I don't wanna go out and buy some stuff thats gonna ruin them. Also when should the over drive be on. I read another thread in here about it but it wasn't really that clear. Right now I have it so the dash light indicator is not showing. Is this the right postion for it to be in? TIA

Old 10-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Dodge owner

Wheels,wellany reputable manufacturer of cleaning polishing products will work well.Personaly,I use Mothers products.

As far as the overdrive goes(tow/haul) Keep it on at all times when on road.The only time I would turn it off is if I was off roading or hauling a heavy trailer.If the light is OFF the overdrive is engaged.

Using the overdrive while towing a heavy trailer on the highway can cause slippage in the transmission

Old 10-18-2006, 06:51 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

mothers for cleanig rims, and just about everything else on the truck....

Old 10-19-2006, 09:53 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

personally, i use meguiars or armor all on everything, lol but it's always a matter of personal opinion. everyone has their opinions and to each his own

Old 10-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Ringwraith
Rookie

Heya Tapout

I just joined the Ram squad as well. (less than 2 weeks ago) ;-)
(Blk 04 QC hemi 4X4)

When the dealer cleaned up my truck, I noticed the wheels had an oily look to them and they felt greasy.
They looked ok the day it was detailed but within a couple days they had crap/flies stuck to them even before I drove it off the lot!
The wheels got pretty nasty looking very quickly once I took it home. I'm not sure what product they used but it was not pretty!
After some research, I picked up some Meguiars Hot Rims for my factory 20's & it works great!
http://www.meguiars.com/?wheel-care/...-Wheel-Cleaner

Here's a pic of my truck after using Hot Rims...

Cheers
Sean

Old 10-19-2006, 06:34 PM
tapout

I know what your talking about with the greasy effect on the rims. Looks like Meguiars Hot Rims does the trick. Thanks again for the info.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

I use a product called, Never Dull, and it works great. It comes in a can, and it's basically a cotton roll which you rub on then rub off.
Again this stuff is great.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:47 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I use Mothers Aluminum polish combined with Mothers Powerball to shine my rims which works out nicely. The best thing Ive used to date though is some aluminum polsh that was being sold at a Barret Jackson Car show a while back. This guy was demonstrating how to use his polish by polishing the bottom of an aluminum can and making it shine like chrome! It works wonders for polished aluminum wheels and litterally makes them look like chrome and for $10 it was well worth it. One bottle lasted me about 2 years polishing my old truck and my current Ram and two other vehicles as well pnce every 2-3 months. I need to go back to one of those car shows to try and find some more of that stuff!!

Quick Reply: New Dodge owner