3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do chips work

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:11 AM
Dustin1515
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do chips work

DO chips really work if so what one is the best and what can i get the most horsepower out of

Old 10-20-2006, 07:00 AM
BigZell
Default RE: Do chips work

Sure chips can work. I work with a guy who has a 03 1500 Ram Hemi, same as mine and he uses Superchips programmer...says he gets 25hp out of it alone in performance mode. It has several modes, like performance, tow, mileage! Be careful if you still have a warrenty on yours though because most void your warrenty.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:22 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a diesel?

If so......just look at some of the 1/4 mile times posted on streetfire.net by those smokers.
Sub 12 second quarters for a dually 3500 with bully dog chips, intercoolers and uprated tubo's.
Unbelieveable! [sm=gears.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]
Al.
ORIGINAL: Dustin1515

DO chips really work if so what one is the best and what can i get the most horsepower out of

Old 10-20-2006, 10:44 AM
motorhead426
All Star

I think the more important benefit with programmers is not only the power improvements, but the ability to change other parameters (tire size, shift points, etc) and the fact that many can read/clear trouble codes. I think the power improvement comes after you change parts like exhaust, intake, etc. and then use the programmer. I think for most trucks you won't feel a huge difference with a programmer on a completely stock truck. Most of these guys don't use the higher octane setting because of the cost of fuel, so that can reduce your possible power improvement too. Just my $.02

Old 10-20-2006, 01:06 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

With a good cat-back exhaust and good CAI and having a Superchips Flashpaq set on the 91 octane performance setting you will deffinately see and feel some gains. It will also remove your governer so you can really open it up instead of feeling like you hit a brick wall right around 106mph+/- from your truck shutting down. I run mine on the economy setting right now which still gives a nice gain but allows me to run 89 instead of 91 all the time (they say it can run on 87 on that setting but you get better gains with the 89 and it just feels better to me at least.) and it also improved my mileage a little bit more when Im not sinking my foot into it.

Also make sure that before you bring it down to get any warranty work done to the truck you reset the programing back to stock. Otherwise when you bring it in and they flash the computer to give you some of their "factory updates" it will lock you out so you wont be able to remove the stock settings and reprogram it with the programers settings untill after you send the programer back and pay a few hundred for the company to add a new programing on it before you are able to set it back to their settings. (I know comfusing). As for the warranty, they cant say that it will void it because thats against the law to do so, HOWEVER, if they can prove that the programer caused whatever problem you are having then yes your warranty will be tossed out the window.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:08 PM
prerunner
Captain

Chips do not work. They can give an increase, such as jetchips, but the Ram cpu will learn what the chip does and fix itself. So unless you want to reset your computer every 500 miles, don't waste your money.

A programmer, such as the superchips programmer, will give you an increase. The programmer will re-program the Ram cpu, unlike the chip!!!!!
So just say NO to chips, and yes to Programmers

Old 10-21-2006, 05:45 PM
ram2005hemi

I bought a Hypertech Programmer III to change the tire diameter in the truck's computer. I went from 17 inch wheels to 20's and wanted to correct the speedo. I could never get to the screen on the programmer that gave me the option to change the tire size even though the back of the box it came in states that it has this feature. Looking through the instructions, it says that this feature does not work on the 5.7 Hemi. WTF? This is what there web site says my programmer is for :"2003-05 Dodge Hemi 1500/2500/3500 5.7L Trucks". So if it does not work on the Hemi, what does it work on?
I wrote them twice to see what I can do to get this function as it is advertised and they have not wrote me back either time. So, if you are buying a prgrammer for this function. please be cautious.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:30 PM
prerunner
Captain

ORIGINAL: ram2005hemi

I bought a Hypertech Programmer III to change the tire diameter in the truck's computer. I went from 17 inch wheels to 20's and wanted to correct the speedo. I could never get to the screen on the programmer that gave me the option to change the tire size even though the back of the box it came in states that it has this feature. Looking through the instructions, it says that this feature does not work on the 5.7 Hemi. WTF? This is what there web site says my programmer is for :"2003-05 Dodge Hemi 1500/2500/3500 5.7L Trucks". So if it does not work on the Hemi, what does it work on?
I wrote them twice to see what I can do to get this function as it is advertised and they have not wrote me back either time. So, if you are buying a prgrammer for this function. please be cautious.
Superchips Flashpaq will work for you. See if u can return the Hypertech.
on a side note....u don't need to recalibrate for the rims....only if u go with a bigger/smaller tire size. Superchips will allow u to change the tire size.

Quick Reply: Do chips work