3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Throttle Body Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:28 PM
str8shuutr45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Warning Light

I'm looking for some advice/help...

I own a '03 Ram 1500 4X4 quad cab, 5.7. It has 131K easy miles on the odometer. I've installed a K&N cold air intake, Magnaflow dual cat backs, and re-programmed using a Hypertech for 87 Octane. Here's the situation; about 6 months ago the red light on the lower right side of the panel light up. The truck throttled back and I was only able to get 2K rpm max. I pulled over and called my dealer. He told me that it was a throttle body issue. After asking me a bunch of diagnostic questions, he went on to tell me that Dodge has been having some issues with the TB and replacing them under warranty. I explained that my warranty had long expired. He told me that I could either replace it or, just turn the motor off immediately after the light comes on, wait for 30 seconds, start up and drive away. Sure enough, I tried that and the red light went off. The check engine light stayed on for the rest of the day but it eventually reset itself and turned off. No problems right? The problem is recurring every 150-200 miles.

I took my truck in for service last week (tune-up-plugs, wires, etc- I did reprogram with the Hypertech after getting it back); with the red light glowing on. After running the diagnostic on the truck they said the problem was that the throttle body wasn't getting enough air. They told me to clean the air filter!! I had cleaned it ~45K miles earlier so, giving them the benefit of the doubt, I cleaned it. Guess what; after the usual amount of miles traveled, my good buddy, the red light, was back!

This small problem is annoying. The motor runs great, no coughing, back fires, etc. In fact, at 65mph, I can usually get 18mpg while driving on the highway.

Has anyone else seen this problem, heard about this problem, or have any thoughts on what I should do? If the only recourse is replacing the throttle body, where can I get one that won't break the bank (the dealer told me that it would cost ~$900 to replace)? Also, if I do replace the TB, should I install a TB spacer at the same time?

Your thoughts and suggestions will be truly appreciated.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle Body Warning Light

First off, I wouldn't even consider a TB spacer. Some engines do respond to them but, the 5.7 is not one of them, in fact it may actually reduce the performance. As far as the Throttle Body itself, if you can't get the dealer to help you out on this, and I seriously doubt that he would, I would start with checking for a replacement at the wrecking yards.
Just out of curiosity, how many different codes has the truck kicked out???
You also might try simply removing the Throttle Body and Cleaning it good, make sure to follow the cleaning procedures in the FSM as the sensors are VERY delicate. Check all the gasketing, the air inlet path, including the area at the fenderwell. You might also try a stock paper air filter too. In other words, take everything back to stock, and start your trouble shooting there. $900.00 is a lot to lay out for this, and unfortunetly, if the TB does go out-------you are sooooooooooooo screwed[X(]

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Warning Light