3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got smoke by a Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:17 AM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got smoke by a Duramax

What the hell is wrong with all you guys adding a "G" onto the end of CUMMINS... It's not CUMMINGS!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what I was wondering rob. . .

my guess would be the guy had a BDDL or an edge box on the thing. if he was smokeing like a freight train then he's had some major work done.

the major downside of the duramaxies is once they get punched past 550-600 hp the block, heads, and pistons might warp, the rods might crack, Ive seen the inside of a 575hp maxie after it had to be pushed off the dyno when it blew. piston melted due to too much timeing and slung the rod thru the block. not pretty. stock, performanceag is right, with the shorter stroke of the v8's they can rev for a while, however the longer stroke of the inline 6 cummins makes it better suited to pull 14-16,000 all day long. another thing the duramaxies and the fords both use aluminum heads, blocks and pistons, Cummins is still an iron block and head, but in the 03 and on engines the piston is aluminum with an iron core to pull the heat away. aluminum in large quantities and diesel dont mix. and I dont know of any duramaxie or power joke that has pushed past 1200hp.

oh, BTW, from light to light I have taken almost every hemi that has wanted a piece of me

Old 12-05-2006, 08:54 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Drew,

Do you think the duramax's problems with higher HP numbers is due to it being a V8? I have heard Diesel purists say that the inline 6 config is the only way to go for Diesel.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Nicky B
Captain

ORIGINAL: vr6_dub

nitrous on a CTD? i dont think so.. did you not read wut superman posted..(propane!)
There are nitrous kits for deisals like there are for any other car in the world. But yeah propane does almost the same thing.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:51 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

heh, i tried racing a 2500 cummins one night in my truck...it wasnt pretty lol

Old 12-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Drew
Professional

I'm not a big fan of v style engines anyway, sidewall loading, the rods exert energy to and from the crank at different angles depending on the bank it is on, plus too much timeing on the maxie's is the main culprit of melting pistons, bending rods, and cracking the block. fireing a diesel too close to TDC will result in many of the problems explaind in this thread.

the duramax engine is a good engine, you just have to do alot of work to it in order to get high HP, pistons and rods, heads need some work, turbo, injectors, and an upgraded fuel system. the Cummins just needs a bigger turbo, stud the head, a set of injectors and a different lift/pusher pump. No real intense engine work needs to be done.

with just a bigger turbo and a different lift pump for fuel one performance module is able to add 190 extra horse and 580lb-ft torque at the rear wheels bringing the final numbers to 500hp and 1100lb-ft torque at the wheels. it is just a matter of the tranny being able to handle it. I know a few guys that are batting over 600 with diesel only, no drugs.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:13 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Good God. 600 RWHP and 1100+ Tq.... I wonder how long the motor will last. Must have some insane 1/4 mile times for such a heavy vehicle.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Drew
Professional

some of the guys that are 600+ use their trucks as daily drivers

just a matter of turning the box down to a more streetable power, but be able to crank it up at a push of a button.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 PM
cumminalong

If that guy knew how to launch his truck, he wasn't waiting for the turbo to spool, it was already there. Power brake it to around 1600 - 2000 RPM and you're gone.

I hate to say it. but there ain't a gasser around that is gonna run with a diesel that knows how to launch. He's already push (stock) 600 lbs of torque at launch before you can even get the engine spinning.

My buddy, drives a Mustang GT, couldn't believe how fast a diesel truck is. We came up to a light after lunch a few days agao and he got a little taste of just how fast it is.

And by the way, you can run nitrous on a diesel. It's usually in conjunction with propane. Propane is not really like nitrous is to a gass engine. Propane IS fuel, nitrous is an oxidizer. Add fuel (propane) and you need more oxygen (nitrous) or a bigger turbo. Otherwise, on a diesel, your EGT's will skyrocket and bad things happen then.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:35 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

I hate to say it. but there ain't a gasser around that is gonna run with a diesel that knows how to launch. He's already push (stock) 600 lbs of torque at launch before you can even get the engine spinning.
I disagree. Add a STS turbo setup with all the goodies to a Hemi and it'll run just fine with any diesel especially since the torque and HP numbers will be greater than a SRT and it will definitely weigh less than any of the diesels will.

It might look to be less expensive to mod a diesel, but not when you take into consideration that I can buy a 4-door Hemi Ram for $23,000 right now vs. a 4-door Diesel for $33,000. So take 10 grand and dump that into the HEMI first then add another $1700 to it to match the cost mentioned above for moding the diesel. I would be willing to bet that almost 12 grand worth of mods to a HEMI will smoke any stock diesel with $1700 worth of mods. I know there are diehard fanatics here that love their diesels but lets put things into perspective first before making statements like quoted above.

Quick Reply: Got smoke by a Duramax