3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can't beat the price!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:03 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't beat the price!

I drove out towards Chicago this weekend and picked up an 9.25 axle out of a 2005 Ram with low miles that I won on ebay. I couldn't passs it up. The auction ended with a price of $1.25!!! I figured even with the cost of gas, the total price would be under $100, which is going to be well worth it. Total Price, $72 in gas, $8 for lunch, and $10 for the axle. I gave the guy a $10 because I felt like I was ripping him off, and asked why he didn't put a reserve on it. Turns out he parted 3 trucks together and built one. And the remaining parts were starting to get in the way, so he just wanted them gone. I was happy to lighten his load and take the axle off his hands. I'm going to rebuild it, add a locker and 4.56 gears. I'm also thinking of welding a skid plate to the bottom of the pumpkin for some added protection.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:55 PM
motorider228
Champion
Default RE: Can't beat the price!

you should rebuild it from disc to disc with new shafts and all that. what kind of locker are you looking at? you should go with an ARB.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
motorhead426
All Star

Ya, I'm going to completely rebuild it. Might as well since its out on the bench (so to say). I'm going with a Detroit TrueTrac. There is another member on here "ce2flaco" and I saw his pics from offroading, and if I can drive over half the stuff he can, that should be good enough for my needs. As far as I know ARB does not make an air locker for the 9.25 axle. In a perfect world I'd prefer an E-Locker, but no one is building one yet. As far as new shafts, I'm not sure if I'm going to replace them or not. I might just keep the stock ones, since I'll have a spare set from the axle that is in the truck currently. I'd like to talk to someone over at Moser or something and see about getting some kind of C-Clip eliminator. Other than that, I think thats all I'm going to do (or can do) to the inside. I've got list of stuff I need to complete, including my lift kit and skid plate. So I'm going to do most of them at the same time.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Stroker
Veteran

I've heard of a lot og people having their axles chryogenecly frozen. This is saposed to realighn the something or other or uhhh.....well it's saposed to make them stronger. I used to be pretty heavy into off roading and every time I went to the off road park there was at least one truck there broke down with an air locker. The locker units themselve were usually fine but a $0.50 hose or coupling or something like that would be broke leaving them peg legged. In some cases the hose would break at a bad time and destroy the whole unit though. Either way I would avoid air lockers. The true-Track is sapossed to be a great unit. The only one I know that has used one switched from a full locker in the rear to the True-Trak and said the only difference he notice was better street manners.

Quick Reply: Can't beat the price!