3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Update on Chet

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Update on Chet

Hey, all. Not much truck content here, but I figured I'd post an update on me, since it's been a while. As some of you may remember, I was in a motorcycle accident in June, just three weeks after getting back from deployment to the middle east. I lost my right leg and severely ****ered up my left leg.

Well, I'm finally out of the hospital. I've been home for about three weeks now. Spending three + months in a hospital is NOT fun, lemme tell you! Well, the popatiel artery graft took well, and I've had no issues with that. I've still got a lot of nerve damage and don't have feeling back on the top of my left foot yet, but that's to be expected only four months out. I'm starting to regain some feeling in my lower leg, so that's a REAL good thing! Because I destroyed the knee - I completely tore off every ligament and tendon except for the PCL - I don't have much stability in the knee. I have to wear a brace on it all the time, but I can bear weight. I'm still in a wheelchair, but have started working on crutches in physical therapy. I've managed to get myself a couple hundred feet up and down the hall in one shot so far. Wasn't pretty, but it's a start! With my progression, the therapists and doctors are guesstimating that maybe next month I'll be able to start working with a prosthesis. Wow. I can't wait. It's only been four months since the accident so far, but it feels like so much longer!!!

There's still no real update on whether I'll get to stay in the military or not. It's still too early to submit a package. If they tried to do a medical board on my now, they'd probably just kick it back, because no one can say how I'm going to be in the future yet. So, that's actually a good thing right now! Besides, I really dont' mind still being paid! I actually used some of the SGLI insurance money and paid my truck off. Nice having a brand new '05 truck in the driveway with less than 10,000 miles on it...and not having a payment! I just wanted to pay off as many bills NOW, while I still am getting a paycheck, instead of struggling to make ends meet further on down the line if I get the boot.

Anyway, that's about it. My wife keeps getting "more and more pregnant" by the day, so it's good that I'm becoming more independent for my self. Our daughter has been such a great help through all of this. Hearing from everyone else has also been such great encouragement. I can't thank you all enough! Some pics:

Shortly after the accident, still in the hospital. Screws sticking out of you are NOT fun. Notice the stump:

My night time cocktail. No wonder I never want to get up in the morning!!!!

Old 10-23-2006, 08:31 PM
damquick1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Update on Chet

Awesome news update Chet!
Gald to hear your doing well, all the best to you and I admire your outlook & strength.
I know it must be tough, but obviously your much tougher!
Good luck to you and your family on the baby & the arrival.

Best Regards,
DamQuick1

Old 10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
HEMINATE

Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Old 10-23-2006, 10:43 PM
kharding20
Professional

Good to see you are on the mend. You are one tough guy, my hat tips to ya. Good luck with the baby!!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:00 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Man, I cant tell you how glad I am to see you post! It's great to see that your maintaining a positive mindset and trying to to do as much as you can. Just think, this time next year you could be back on a bike or back in your truck 4wheeling and not noticing a thing. I am so glad that you havent quit on this. I've rode infrequently, mostly quads and dirtbikes, and my uncles are into bikes. I've seen several accidents and know people who have been hurt/died on a bike. It's crazy and most of the time its a freak accident or someone being stupid.

I know its got to be insanely rough right now, but man....my hat's off to you for still trying your damn hardest to get up everyday and do your physical therapy. Don't think for one minute that your friends here, new and old, have forgotten about you....and more to the point...I'm sure several of us would like to help you out in anyway we could....

If you feel up to it...maybe pass out your address to a close friend on here or one of the admin/myself. I know several have inquired about wanting to send get well/best wishes cards and so forth. If your uncomfortable with that, I can completely understand.

Good luck man, and get back here soon!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:12 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

Chet that is so awesome that you are doing so well and keeping your spirits high. Also glad to see that you are still playing. Keep Rockin man and best wishes to a speddie recovery.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:14 AM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

glad to see you post man! its great to see thats youre doing good. we're always here chet, always. best of luck with the PT, keep us updated.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:12 AM
mckibbenmd

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Good luck with the expanding family.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 AM
motorhead426
All Star

Glad to see you up and around, and back home. Sounds like your really upbeat, which should help speed up that recovery.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:54 PM
boyd98
Veteran

awesome bro -

glad to hear your back at home.

I been picking up the guitar lately too; been taking lessons. PM me if you want to chat about jammin.

Good luck, hope the rest of the process is smooth.

Boyd

Quick Reply: Update on Chet