3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Bump" in Transmission--new 06Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Wolfchief
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Bump" in Transmission--new 06Hemi

My new 06 Ram 1500 crewcab 2x4 Hemi:
1. developed a "slight bump" in transmission after automatically shifting past its 4th gear (has 5 speed automatic).
2. usually occurs between 40-65mph at a gradual to moderate takeoff using 89 octane
3. will also occur when crusing at anywhere between 55-65mph when slight acceleration is necessary to maintain speed. No change in tachometer between 1500-1800 when "bump" occurs
4. the "bump" almost like a transmission slip is felt even by my passenger
5. "bump" began at about 1000 miles in July..now has 5000 mileson the pickup
6. of course, the Dodge dealer service manager told me it is NORMAL, he said it's the torgue converter kicking in and out.

I am interested in your opinions...I do not believe the "bump" or "hiccup" is normal.
Thanks.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Uncle Hemi
Default RE: "Bump" in Transmission--new 06Hemi

Not sure if you have the MDS on your 06. I do, and I can feel a slight bump when the MDS kicks in or kicks out. It's subtle - but I can still feel it.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Wolfchief

Yes, my 06 Hemi has the MDS. I was told by a dealer salesperson that it might be the MDS kicking in and out. Yet, another told me that the MDS kicking in and out may only be noticed by a sound change from muffler and/or a change in the tachometer reading and not by what may seem to be a transmission "bump" or engine/cylinder "miss." And, another told me it was the 5th speed change, kicking in and out, and that the speed sensor should be changed.

I will take the Ram1500 in for a service department check on Nov. 3. I want all the opinions I can get to tell the service manager who always asks, "What wrong with it?" instead of, "How may I help you?" I'm there for the service department to tell me what's wrong, and fix it if anything is "wrong."

Thanks for your comment...I appreciate your response.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Wolfchief

Well, this morning after driving sanely for about 4 miles, going up a slight incline at 43mph got a "bump" or "hiccup" that was strong enough to jerk me slightly toward the steering wheel, almost like what happens when the brake pedal is lightly tapped. Anyway, after that, I drove another 200 miles in North Mississippi and Alabama and everything was as smooth as greased butter.....no more problems whatsoever! The truck has never run so smooth. Wonder what happened? I still plan to put in on the diagnostic computer tomorrow, but I doubt if anything will show..had 5023 miles on odometer with the last "bump" this morning..now has 5231 miles...fixed itself???

Old 11-03-2006, 01:32 AM
UH60pilot

I have gotten the same "bump", along with a slight stall when the tranny shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. This is nothing huge, but it is also definately not something you would expect from a new vehicle. Dealer tells me that Dodge is aware of a "software problem" with our models, but has not yet worked out a fix for it.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:38 AM
BgBluRam
Captain

I have heard that Dodge has the computers set so that when the truck shifts it actually limits the torque (almost like a timing retard I believe) so that the shifts are quite shoft which every dodge owner is quite aware of. Nothing to really be worried about, if you dont like it, then see what the dealer recommends you do to get rid of the limiter. I believe there is either a programmer or a chip available. Just ask a reputable dealership in your area. Of course that is just one idea on top of many other things is could quite possibly be.. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Wolfchief

Had my 06 Hemi put on the diagnostic computer at dealership today. Transmission, etc. checked out fine. It seems, according to my discussion with the service technician, that sometimes the MDS kicking in and out will coincide with the 5th gear or overdrive kicking in or out which will result in a transmission "bump" during shifting. Anyway, have had abolutely no more "bumps" since the very noticeable one yesterday morning. Guess this is enough said. Thank you all for your comments. Did get the so-called electronic programmed "soft gas pedal" reprogrammed to be quicker on acceleration. Sure gave more assertive and confident acceleration.

Quick Reply: "Bump" in Transmission--new 06Hemi